Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetworkManager 1.2 Is Nearing Release

Phoronix: NetworkManager 1.2 Is Nearing Release

NetworkManager 1.2 should be released soon and the first release candidate is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I imagine that it won't make it to Ubuntu 16.04

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

If you have problems with networkmanager, install Wicd and remove networkmanager. With Wicd applet you have full control to the network interface, gnome networkmanager applet depends on notifications from lower software layers and if you have problems there you have a non working network connection.
      Who said I had problems? I'm perfectly happy with networkmanager. I just think it's a pity that Ubuntu will likely miss out on a new release.

Comment

No, you were not. See your smiley, it is like this:
        So now you know better than him how he feels. Does that tell you anything?

And use a rolling release distro like debian testing, then you do not miss anything, except mesa is 2 months behind, thanks to a ubuntu maintainer.
        Let me get this straight: debian doesn't have the latest mesa because of a ubuntu maintainer?

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce

So it is forbidden to write our experiences with networkmanager.
          Except that you were telling him about his experience with networkmanager. That's not forbidden, but it's hard to interpret in a sane way.

Originally posted by debianxfce
          Some ubuntu maintainers maintain debian too. That is also forbidden to write. Are you working in the government of North Korea?
          Then why didn't you just say that mesa is behind in debian testing because of a debian maintainer. That would have actually made sense.

Fwiw, a common trait of insecurity is taking views different than yours as a threat. Well guess what? Most of the time the world will disagree with you (and me and anyone else). That's life.

Comment

And use a rolling release distro like debian testing, then you do not miss anything, except mesa is 2 months behind, thanks to a ubuntu maintainer.
            Lol are you serious? Legit telling people how they feel... I'm pretty sure it's clear that he doesn't like that Ubuntu isn't getting the update. Not everyone is happy using a rolling distro and tend to stick to a specific distro for support reasons. (I don't personally use Ubuntu, but I still the appeal)

Comment

Debian testing is not really a rolling release as it freezes every now and then before becoming stable.
              For that I'd point more to sid at least.

Comment

Wicd boots faster and is more stable than networkmanager, use systemd-analyze blame.
                236us NetworkManager.service
                It is the fastest service I have, so even if wicd is faster, I don't think I'd notice.

Comment

When you tune boot, you want to remove every useless 900ms services, like networkmanager in our 5 computers.
                  I don't believe it is that necessary, but let's say that it is, we're geeks after all, we always want faster... (and honestly I'd love my tablet and phone booting faster!)
                  But it doesn't even take 1ms... at that point, I cannot be bothered to care, and since it is the fastest service I have, I cannot fathom it being so badly done either.

Comment

If it is 236 microseconds and not a typo, then in the world there are millions of slower networked computers. When you tune boot, you want to remove every useless 900ms services, like networkmanager in our 5 computers.
                    Yeah, I don't think that's typical network manager startup time. Here's what I got: <!-- NetworkManager [946] ppid=1 runtime=0.165s -->
                    Oldish laptop with wired and wireless connections. Maybe there's something broken in your Debian installations? Or maybe simply some hardware that network manager doesn't like.

Comment

Working...
                    X