Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vivaldi 1.0 Web Browser Released

Phoronix: Vivaldi 1.0 Web Browser Released

Today marks the first stable release of the Vivaldi web browser...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ha, it wasn't there when I updated this morning, but it is now. Let's see, it was looking rather promising till now.

Comment

So Vivaldi is the Internet Explorer of today's for people who don't care about security and privacy?
      No thanks
      I'm pretty happy with Firefox and Chromium and I don't get what advantages a closed source browser could bring for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        So Vivaldi is the Internet Explorer of today's for people who don't care about security and privacy?
        No thanks
        I'm pretty happy with Firefox and Chromium and I don't get what advantages a closed source browser could bring for me.
        I don't get it either. Why should anyone use it, if there already are great open source browsers available? I don't even know why this browser gets promoted on Phoronix.

Comment

Interesting.. but closed source?

What about this project headed by Brendan Eich and all open source at https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop ?

https://www.brave.com/

Comment

No thanks
            If you care about security and privacy, you watch your router's logs. How many times have you done that? How many times have you looked at the source code for Firefox or Chromium?
            Opera was a closed source browser and it ushered in the vast majority of features you take for granted today.

Comment

No thanks

You should read the ToS of Firefox before saying things like that.

Comment

I actually trust Vivaldi more than Chromium. Yes, I mean Chromium, not Chrome. And don't tell me that spyware hasn't crept into Chromium before.

Comment

Just reminding that there exist open source projects inspired by classic Opera, like:

Trying once again model that failed in the past (closed source) is just repeating previous mistake...

Comment

Originally posted by Emdek View Post
                    Trying once again model that failed in the past (closed source) is just repeating previous mistake...
                    You can't really say it failed, Opera has been around for 21 years and it isn't dead yet. They had to ditch their own rendering engine but they realised that wasn't the most important thing anyway. It lost some market share to Chrome but people don't choose Chrome because it's open source... not least because it's not open source! Sure, there's Chromium, but the vast majority still install Chrome.

Comment

Working...
                    X