Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Number Of Radeon & AMDGPU Fixes Queue Up For Linux 4.6

Phoronix: A Number Of Radeon & AMDGPU Fixes Queue Up For Linux 4.6

A new pull request was sent in today that fixes some Radeon and AMDGPU DRM driver issues within the Linux 4.6 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

anyone know if the AMDGPU is going to get a nice GUI?

Comment

Originally posted by unyieldingly View Post
      AMDGPU is a kernel driver, so no. That doesn't make any sense.

I assume you meant to ask if radeonsi is going to get a GUI. I'm certainly not aware of anyone planning anything beyond driconf.

Comment

Originally posted by unyieldingly View Post
        I also think, newbies coming from Windows might miss their new and fancy Radeon settings (introduced w/ crimson).
        Let's build one

Comment

radeonsi is MESA stuff and obviously has a config UI.

And the closed-source userspace driver for the AMDGPU kernel-driver will most probably have it's own UI.

In any case, shouldn't there have been some kind of roadmap by bridgman? Concerning the GCN 1.0 GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
            I also think, newbies coming from Windows might miss their new and fancy Radeon settings (introduced w/ crimson).
            Let's build one
            I absolutely fully agree with you. For those mentioning driconf, that shit is totally inadequate. Maybe a UI expert needs to take a look at it and completely refactor it.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
              In any case, shouldn't there have been some kind of roadmap by bridgman? Concerning the GCN 1.0 GPUs.
              This is the latest I've seen from him on the topic: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gamin...s_gpus/d1kqk2a

Comment

The way things are going I think we're likely to see code before we see a roadmap, which is the opposite of what I was expecting a couple of weeks ago. There are a lot of other projects being planned at the same time for the same set of developers so we can't really set dates for one project until the others are worked out as well. That doesn't interfere with working on the code in the short term though...
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  The way things are going I think we're likely to see code before we see a roadmap, which is the opposite of what I was expecting a couple of weeks ago. There are a lot of other projects being planned at the same time for the same set of developers so we can't really set dates for one project until the others are worked out as well. That doesn't interfere with working on the code in the short term though...
                  well, that's a new one. Announcing a Roadmap, then not delivering on it but instead just finishing what would've been on the Roadmap. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just amused.

Thank you for responding

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                    well, that's a new one. Announcing a Roadmap, then not delivering on it but instead just finishing what would've been on the Roadmap. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, just amused.

Thank you for responding
                    So that's actually nothing like what I said, although I agree your interpretation is amusing. BTW when did we announce a roadmap and could you please send me a copy ?

What I said is that I think we will see initial code before the roadmap, not finished / QA'ed / performance optimized code.

If I thought we could provide production code that quickly then even I could put that information in a roadmap
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X