Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All The Places You Can Find Ubuntu

Phoronix: All The Places You Can Find Ubuntu

There's still no agreement or way to define exactly how many Ubuntu users there are in the world, but we all know that it's a lot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I have to admit that in the grand scheme of linux in general I agree with him. The simple matter is that our world in 2016 wouldn't be possible without linux. I don't like Canonical at all in any way, but the general idea he conveys there is absolutely correct.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      Ubuntu is religion like ms windows. Other distros are more better technically. Both control users and their computer is not their. Ubuntu is not used in space, that tells something.
      http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/...o-airlock.html

Replace win with ubuntu in this video, then you get the picture:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTOjLX-RcVs
      Now he brings religion into discussion. Does this forum have an emoticon for double facepalm?

What's with all the bitterness? Ubuntu is just a distribution. In a Linux world of perpetual instability and CLI tools, Canonical saw an opportunity in catering to less tech-savvy users by building some additional tools and to enterprises by providing LTE releases. They've kept some of what they built for themselves, but with all the difficulties in upstreaming stuff, I can't blame them for that.

Comment

(*) fex, why make different distribution for only stupid tweaked desktops and 1.5GB iso files when you can use 27MB net installer and select from eight desktop like in debian.
        The 1.5GB (or however big it is) image contains software that typical users will use, along with an experience non-techies will most likely enjoy, and can be used on pretty limited internet connections. If I still had DSL, I would not want to put up with trying to download everything I need at install-time...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          I have to admit that in the grand scheme of linux in general I agree with him. The simple matter is that our world in 2016 wouldn't be possible without linux. I don't like Canonical at all in any way, but the general idea he conveys there is absolutely correct.
          I think that interpretation is stretching things way too far. People who just use PayPal etc. shouldn't automatically be counted as Ubuntu users because 1. most people don't know which OS runs the servers behind the service and 2. absolutely no one cares. Withdrawing cash at an ATM also doesn't make someone an OS/2 user.

"Ubuntu users" should be defined as persons or organisations who knowingly decide to install Ubuntu on a system they control.

Comment

I'm not sure how they qualify a Ubuntu user.
            Personally I have not used the UBUNTU desktop distro since it ballooned to over 1GB and it wouldn't fit on a blank CD. I switched to other distros. All these other distros were Debian; and they all use the Ubuntu ecosystem. So in that sense; I have always used Ubuntu and relied on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I think that interpretation is stretching things way too far. People who just use PayPal etc. shouldn't automatically be counted as Ubuntu users because 1. most people don't know which OS runs the servers behind the service and 2. absolutely no one cares. Withdrawing cash at an ATM also doesn't make someone an OS/2 user.

"Ubuntu users" should be defined as persons or organisations who knowingly decide to install Ubuntu on a system they control.
              Well, maybe, but I guess the question to be answered is, would there even be a paypal or a twitter or a google without linux? I really doubt it, so whether people are aware of it is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Now he brings religion into discussion. Does this forum have an emoticon for double facepalm?

What's with all the bitterness? Ubuntu is just a distribution. In a Linux world of perpetual instability and CLI tools, Canonical saw an opportunity in catering to less tech-savvy users by building some additional tools and to enterprises by providing LTE releases. They've kept some of what they built for themselves, but with all the difficulties in upstreaming stuff, I can't blame them for that.
                What are talking about? Canonical doesn't even try to upstream their stuff. They do what ever they want to do and always try to do at the expense of the greater communities. It's no wonder Canonical has only been able to lose money.

Comment

Ubuntu is a religion like ms windows. Other distros are more better technically (*). Both control users and their computer is not their. Ubuntu is not used in space, that tells something.
                  http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/...o-airlock.html

Replace win with ubuntu in this video, then you get the picture:
                  Discussion: http://www.cupoflinux.com/SBB/index.php/topic,4334.0.html

You've tried to evangelize people towards Debian and XFCE here more than once, often not respecting other people's distro or desktop environment preferences. Seems like a religious attitude to me, don't you think?

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by fakenmc View Post

You've tried to evangelize people towards Debian and XFCE here more than once, often not respecting other people's distro or desktop environment preferences. Seems like a religious attitude to me, don't you think?

Best regards
                    Not really. Religion teaches respect, humbleness and empathy. What he exhibits is a fanatic attitude, not a religious one.

Comment

Working...
                    X