Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have You Had Any Luck Running Ubuntu On Windows 10?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have You Had Any Luck Running Ubuntu On Windows 10?

Phoronix: Have You Had Any Luck Running Ubuntu On Windows 10?

Two days ago Microsoft pushed out a Windows 10 update that added the recently announced Ubuntu user-space with Bash for Windows using a new Linux subsystem for Win10. Have you tried it out?..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm having the same problem. I've tried to reinstall, followed all the guides, and etc to no avail. Windows Defender seems to be the only updates I can get. It'll be really nice to have it so that no matter what machine I use ALL my tools exist.

Comment

Originally posted by tebruno99 View Post
      I'm having the same problem. I've tried to reinstall, followed all the guides, and etc to no avail. Windows Defender seems to be the only updates I can get. It'll be really nice to have it so that no matter what machine I use ALL my tools exist.
      Good to hear I'm not the only one... Yeah, all I've been seeing too is Windows Defender updates. I was going to try reinstalling completely today, but good to know you already tried that to no luck.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I've installed 14316 build and ubuntu bash without any problems but i cant install any software with apt-get. I guess that there are some network issues because i get "Could not resolve 'archive.ubuntu.com' error.

Comment

Same problem here.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

It is normal for Windows 10 fast ring updates to start downloading days after the update has been released or days after switching to the fast ring.
            I had read that and then modified the registry to point to switching the ring a month ago, but still no luck. Happen to know any other tricks?
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Have not tried it out, because I don't have a Windows machine, but apparently you can even run full blown GNOME apps like the control center on the subsystem after installing Xorg.

First look at running X11 graphical Linux applications under an X Server (like xming) on Windows 10 using the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)!

Comment

Michael, after enrolling a comp, it can take up to 24 hours to receive the builds. No need to edit the Registry or anything, just enable Insider in Settings, then check for updates every once in a while.

​Anyway, I enabled Ubuntu on Windows, but network seems to be broken so I can't install packages anyway. All I have is a shell that's less useful than Git Bash for Windows.

Last edited by anarki2; 08 April 2016, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Hey Michael,

I eventually got in:
                  Build 14316.rs1_release.160402-2217

Insider builds set to "fast"

It doesn't support symlink's period, apt tends to randomly timeout, default user is setup as root... (

==
                  voodoo@localhost:~$ phoronix-test-suite system-info

Phoronix Test Suite v6.4.0m0
                  System Information

Hardware:
                  Processor: AMD A8-3500M APU (4 Cores), Memory: 1024MB, Disk: 233GB

Software:
                  OS: Ubuntu 14.04, Kernel: 3.4.0+ (x86_64), Compiler: GCC 4.8.4, File-System: UNKNOWN (0x53464846)

==
                  Smallpt 1.0:
                  pts/smallpt-1.0.2
                  Test 1 of 1
                  Estimated Trial Run Count: 3
                  Estimated Time To Completion: 20 Minutes (15:55 UTC)
                  Started Run 1 @ 15:36:18
                  The test exited with a non-zero exit status.
                  Started Run 2 @ 15:36:21
                  Started Run 3 @ 15:36:58

Test Results:

Average: 0 Seconds
                  This test failed to run properly.
                  ==
                  --
                  Robert Nelson
                  http://www.rcn-ee.com/

Comment

Well that figures, MS bloated gigantic shitty BITS client pissing folks off every single chance it gets.

Comment

Working...
                    X