Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pfSense 2.3 Released With New Web UI

Phoronix: pfSense 2.3 Released With New Web UI

PfSense 2.3 was released today as the newest version of this popular FreeBSD-based firewall/router OS appliance software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh GREAT! #&@%!!!!.... now they increased the font size by a gazillion + added empty space all over so I need twice the monitor to see what I did last time Glad my browser can zoom OUT!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

So which one is better, pfSense or OpenWRT? Is BSD more reliable and Linux based more compatible?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        So which one is better, pfSense or OpenWRT? Is BSD more reliable and Linux based more compatible?
        I've never used OpenWRT, but pfSense and what I can say, is that pfSense is one of the greatest OSes I've ever used. At one of my last employer we've used one pfSense per site - 23+ sites where connected via OpenVPN (with internet hosted OpenVPN server). Every pfSense had at least five links via routers to the internet (up to 13 links: (V)DSL, cable, fiber). Up to 150 users were one one site with heavy internet load - load balanced and if possible also cached via Squid3 service pfSense. pfSense is absolutely awesome and I'm missing that system, because every microsoft and linux admin can configure that system via the browser based UI. Maybe I'm going to install it at home this year as the DNS and DHCP administration is very easy and comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealBecks View Post
          I've never used OpenWRT, but pfSense and what I can say, is that pfSense is one of the greatest OSes I've ever used. At one of my last employer we've used one pfSense per site - 23+ sites where connected via OpenVPN (with internet hosted OpenVPN server). Every pfSense had at least five links via routers to the internet (up to 13 links: (V)DSL, cable, fiber). Up to 150 users were one one site with heavy internet load - load balanced and if possible also cached via Squid3 service pfSense. pfSense is absolutely awesome and I'm missing that system, because every microsoft and linux admin can configure that system via the browser based UI. Maybe I'm going to install it at home this year as the DNS and DHCP administration is very easy and comfortable.
          It's rebased off FreeBSD. Even before that I got the impression it's probably better to use BSD-based dedicated network software solutions like pfsense over linux. One of the few reason right now for me to use it, but it's seemingly a damn good one. So in it goes.
          Hi

Comment

I assume you are keeping home usage in mind. You will have to consider multiple variables.

First. hardware. Anything besides x86/x64 (with the possible exception of MIPS (Mikrotik boards) if you are willing to try and build from source), forget pfSense and go for OpenWRT. OPNSense is planning to introduce ARM support at some point in future. But it's future, not now.

Second. Wireless. You need 802.11ac? Go for OpenWRT. FreeBSD does not have 802.11ac WiFi support, it can do 802.11abgn.

But. You have got low-power PC you want to use for firewalling/routing? You have got hostap-capable Atheros wireless card (AR928x, AR9462, AR9580, Dell DW1521 etc). Go for pfSense and don't look back.

Hardware support for networking is more or less on par. BSD network stack might be bit more efficient and stable. FreeBSD's pf firewall offers sometimes more functionality. You can see it once you explore more in the GUI menus of pfSense or random Linux firewall distribution (Zentyal, IPFire, IPCop, Shorewall).
            Last edited by aht0; 13 April 2016, 06:17 AM.

Comment

OpenWRT is extremely useful on smaller devices where pfSense could feature as a company firewall. OpenWRT can do a lot of things pfSense can do, but it's just easier to do specific things on pfSense like monitoring. The same goes for OpenWRT especially in the compatibility aspect like you suggested. They've got really small images.

I'm going to skip the Is BSD more reliable and Linux based more compatible part for now though. I've gone through a lot of painful experiences in personal and work environments that might make my comments a bit too opinionated.

At home I'm using OpenWRT for my cheap TP-Link wifi routers to get coverage for my property and a small Mikrotik's 750GL running RouterOS for my ADSL accounts (PPPoE clients). Before I had my 750GL, I used a raspberry pi with shorewall to handle my PPPoE clients and general firewall needs. It took me a couple of days and a lot of cursing to get it working, the man pages are not that useful.

Mikrotik's RouterOS is useful for someone with less experience. It's quite easy to setup policy based shaping, which helps if you are a few people sharing 2mbps internet and you need to have people gaming and streaming low quality at the same time. Scripting and running custom services on RouterOS is a pain on the other hand. Some of the protocol support is really bad like Socks support and sometimes the Ciphers are dated too you just need ignore those area's.

I've installed pfSense before, but have not gotten around to testing it properly. I really want to test the netflow functionality for "non-home" use. It would be really nice to have something like pfSense to run on a small low power device. I did not know they were planning ARM support, thanks for letting me know aht0!

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I did not know they were planning ARM support, thanks for letting me know aht0!
                He mentioned OPNSense for ARM support. I get the feeling OPNSense are more pioneering and pfSense is more for stability.
                Hi

Comment

Dudes....pfSense's Certificate Authority is Comodo..... Just saying....you've been warned/reminded.

Comment

pfSense is in a league of its own. It crushes the likes of OpenWRT and DD-WRT.

Comment

Working...
                    X