Pointer Warping Emulation Is Being Worked On For XWayland To Fix Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pointer Warping Emulation Is Being Worked On For XWayland To Fix Games

Phoronix: Pointer Warping Emulation Is Being Worked On For XWayland To Fix Games

While many games are running on Wayland either natively or through XWayland (the most likely scenario right now), not all of them offer a great experience due to functional issues. One of the functionality problems right now for games being piped through XWayland is the lack of pointer/mouse warping...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is Wayland approaching a point where it will make sense with some benchmarks?

I would be interested in some comparisons between Steam games running on X/XWayland/XMir on AMDGPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post

I would be interested in some comparisons between Steam games running on X/XWayland/XMir on AMDGPU.
      More interesting question, what do games use to output OpenGL? Do they use Xorg libs of some kind or directly into GL libraries? Or may be most games use SDL2 or something?

Someone, care to explain please?

I'd love to play some game under wayland, when wayland will be supported well enough undner Nvidia

Comment

Not sure if benchmarks as such is very valuable at this point, feature comparisons might be more worthwhile, if for no
        other reasons to give people some insight into current status.

Comment

Shouldn't be much of a difference if at all between X and Xwayland on Weston. As far as I know weston already unredirects both Wayland and Xwayland fullscreen windows. Mutter on Wayland doesn't at this point. Xorg with DRI3 should be exactly as fast as a native game on Weston.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Shouldn't be much of a difference if at all between X and Xwayland on Weston. As far as I know weston already unredirects both Wayland and Xwayland fullscreen windows. Mutter on Wayland doesn't at this point. Xorg with DRI3 should be exactly as fast as a native game on Weston.
            You are right - there shouldn't. However please show us the numbers to prove it

Realistically native games for Wayland will be practically non-existing for several years. The ~2000 Linux games on Steam will have to run on XWayland and should be capable of running without performance impact. Furthermore it will be interesting to compare full-screen versus windowed performance. I like to run e.g. Cities Skyline in a window.

Comment

You are right - there shouldn't. However please show us the numbers to prove it

Realistically native games for Wayland will be practically non-existing for several years. The ~2000 Linux games on Steam will have to run on XWayland and should be capable of running without performance impact. Furthermore it will be interesting to compare full-screen versus windowed performance. I like to run e.g. Cities Skyline in a window.
              Huh? Any SDL2 game works with Wayland right now. The lack of relative mouse input has been all that's been holding things back.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
                Huh? Any SDL2 game works with Wayland right now. The lack of relative mouse input has been all that's been holding things back.
                A bunch of games depend on Xorg and xRandr, thus they would run in XWayland, not Wayland directly. Furthermore, I'm sure a lot of people play games in Wine, which should run solely in XWayland IIRC (for example, Undertale and Star Dew Valley have been popular on Steam, but I don't think they have native ports yet)

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                  A bunch of games depend on Xorg and xRandr, thus they would run in XWayland, not Wayland directly. Furthermore, I'm sure a lot of people play games in Wine, which should run solely in XWayland IIRC (for example, Undertale and Star Dew Valley have been popular on Steam, but I don't think they have native ports yet)
                  So what do these games do when run under SDL2/Wayland, crash with modeset failure? I tried the SDL2 port of ChromiumBSU and it worked find under Weston, even though it created a rescaled buffer since the native resolution was unavailable. I'm not saying some games don't have bugs and/or rely on X11 only features, but many will work, every SDL2 game I've tried has worked. I'm pretty sure mode-switching xrandr style is never going to be supported under Wayland, but does that matter?

Comment

I'm curious, how e.g. touch-screen is supposed to work without a pointer warping? Isn't a touch is a warp of a pointer into a particular point of the screen?

Comment

Working...
                    X