Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libav Adds H.264 & MPEG4 Encoders Using OpenMAX IL

Phoronix: Libav Adds H.264 & MPEG4 Encoders Using OpenMAX IL

For those still using the FFmpeg-forked Libav project for your multimedia needs, the latest Git code has landed H.264 and MPEG4 encoders using OpenMAX IL...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are ANY distro's apart from Debian using Libav? Is Debian even still using Libav?

Comment

I think all the distros are back on ffmpeg - Gentoo offers both but ffmpeg is back as the default. I think ffmpeg still pull in the commits made to libav so we'll probably see this soon

Comment

The Copyright (C) is from 2011 in the omx.c and the author is from Sun, 8 Apr 2012 but once committed it got in pretty fast.

Comment

i think it does not uses omx-bellagio, so no luck with radeon
          [mpeg4_omx @ 0x1a4d380] libOMX_Core.so not found
          [mpeg4_omx @ 0x1a4d380] libOmxCore.so not found

Comment

OpenMAX is pretty difficult to be implemented correctly. It is supposed to provide standard component for multimedia, but at the end every vendor implementation has a different behaviour. I wonder what is the reference encoder they considered...

Comment

I thought LibAV was supposed to be folded back into ffmpeg?

Comment

For upgrade in Ubuntu, please upvote https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...v/+bug/1570749

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
                  Are ANY distro's apart from Debian using Libav? Is Debian even still using Libav?
                  At very least, Debian has re-added original FFMpeg in testing. Ubuntu did the very same for obvious reason.

And speaking for myself... libav proven to be PITA when it comes to actually using it. If you care about library, they would break quite some apis here and there, so everyone have to rewrite their progs every month or two, also trying not to become mad because there're both ffmpeg and libav, which are similar, but different. Grab some random program using ffmpeg/libav and try to build it using latest libav. There is decent chance it going to be SNAFU. Ok, ffmpeg isn't perfect in this regard either. But libav is waaaay ahead of ffmpeg in breaking all kinds of things. Should you write some cool script to do e.g. video transcoding from here to there, wake up next day and... whaaaaaaat? Libav team has deleted like 50% of options you've used and overhailed the rest? Cool, except your script no longer works and you have to spend quite some time learning how to persuade new libav version to do what you want.

So development is good. But breaking all possible use cases far more wildly than ffmpeg does it is not. Needless to say it earned quite some opponents to libav. Speaking for myself, at the end of day I prefer to use ffmpeg. Just because it allows to me keep things working with sane amount of efforts. It got own idiocies, sure, like bizarre ffprobe tool attiude, but at least it does not changes this attitude every month XD.

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post
                    OpenMAX is pretty difficult to be implemented correctly. It is supposed to provide standard component for multimedia, but at the end every vendor implementation has a different behaviour. I wonder what is the reference encoder they considered...
                    It might stand a chance currently though if bugs can be ironed out from main implementations as VDPAU and VAAPI do not support Wayland

Comment

Working...
                    X