Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Thunderbird 45.0 Is Now Available

Phoronix: Mozilla Thunderbird 45.0 Is Now Available

Thunderbird 45.0 is now available as the latest version of the Gecko-powered open-source email client...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm, im still missing richer font text editing toolbar, standard has only few features.
    Second problem which i have with TB long time is not working Lighting, Google provider events postpone dialog and very small font on Mac OS, Windows version is still best.

Comment

Good for Thunderbird...

Now, is there any actually good Email Client in existence that I can turn to? Because Thunderbird just isn't doing it for me... I have better experiences accessing my mail accounts through a browser, no joke. (I question the purpose of thunderbird)

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        Good for Thunderbird...

Now, is there any actually good Email Client in existence that I can turn to? Because Thunderbird just isn't doing it for me... I have better experiences accessing my mail accounts through a browser, no joke. (I question the purpose of thunderbird)
        What distro are you running?

I personally like KMail (my favorite), Thunderbird, Icedove, and Evolution.

Comment

The main issues when using a browser to access email is when you have multiple email accounts: work/personal/secondary, etc. In this case you need to access multiple sites and you may get completely different interfaces with completely different feature sets and address books. A proper desktop email client lets you nicely aggregate all your mail in a single place, share address books, and transfer emails from one server to another (e.g., for archival). I think that a huge advantage of thunderbird is large repository of extensions that, to some point, lets you personalize your email experience (e.g., if you work with math, you can have an extension assisting the production of proper formatted math in your emails; if you email as a part of some process, such as editorial, custom assistance, etc. you can rely on message templates, etc.)

Comment

I'm in the same boat as you. Used to be a Thunderbird user back when I still had a 4:3 monitor, but since I changed to 16:9 and 16:10 monitors Thunderbird became unusable for me. Nowadays it's just Gmail in browser, although it did take a while to get used to the UI of that.

I tried geary but it lacked a lot of functionality, and Evolution is in the same boat as Thunderbird, the "we forgot to update the UI to better fit widescreen monitors" boat.

Comment

Good for Thunderbird...

Such a highly technical description, have you considered filing a bug report for "just isn't doing it for me"?

Comment

I'm an Fedora/CentOS user/admin and have reasonable good experience with Thunderbird, and hope Mozilla continues with bug fixes and UI session-to-session and update consistency. My principal user is at a loss if things don't come back just as she left them. She's elderly but not entirely clueless -- save for finding and browsing through menus for something for which she doesn't know the name. Big feature updates aren't important, but consistent experience is.

I switched to Thunderbird years ago when Evolution was an unmitigated disaster, and haven't looked back. IIRC that was in the Red Hat / CentOS 5 days. Back then Evolution could update its mail and contacts databases upward from one version to the next, but could neither do a downgrade nor even read mail/contacts between the current versions of CentOS and Fedora. Very frustrating and not particularly useful. I hope GF has fixed this, but haven't checked myself as Thunderbird could and can do this basic stuff and has worked out reasonably well.

Mail clients are mission-critical everywhere from grandma's DE to the enterprise; I encourage all providers to get the basics right and keep them that way. New features may be appreciated by some, but please don't fix what ain't broke. Unexciting bug-fix releases are the most welcome kind.

Comment

I'm actually quite happy that Mozilla is focusing on Firefox these days, as thunderbird functions exactly how it needs to. Firefox needs improvement...

Comment

Now, is there any actually good Email Client in existence that I can turn to?
                    I am the second for Kmail/Kontact. What's good is that Kontact have also RSS reader through which I'm usually looking the news on phoronix. Another plus is that Kontact allows to configure e.g. gvim for writing emails (though I don't know, perhaps it is possible in thunderbird too). The only thing I'm missing here is a markdown syntax. Ah, also Thunderbird didn't compile contacts through all your mail, to do autocompletion when you're writing a new mail. Kmail does it.
                    Last edited by Hi-Angel; 13 April 2016, 03:18 PM. Reason: Just remembered autocompletion

Comment

Working...
                    X