Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Releases Visual Studio Code 1.0, Linux Still Supported

Phoronix: Microsoft Releases Visual Studio Code 1.0, Linux Still Supported

One year after announcing Visual Studio code and supporting it on Linux, Microsoft today announced the Visual Studio Code 1.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am using Visual Studio Code daily on Linux for work. It's working great so far. I like the minimalistic design.

Comment

I prefer this over sublime text. I still miss some things than a full IDE like netbeans can provide when it comes to code completion

Comment

I would love to see it packaged in the Debian repository.

I appreciate VS Code, but would really love to see the real Visual Studio get ported to Linux too.

Comment

i wonder what the point of "linux still supported" was.

Comment

Visual Studio "CODE" gets me every time man, I'm like "wat? Visual Studio on Linux? I high?"

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
            I prefer this over sublime text. I still miss some things than a full IDE like netbeans can provide when it comes to code completion
            Dunno, kinda scared to make such a shift considring the triple E...

Comment

Is it still just Atom with a skin and a Typescript plugin? Has it diverged enough yet that it is worth having both Atom and VS Code installed?

Comment

With the plethora of working programmers text editors and IDE's on Linux I feel very spoilt for choice

Comment

Originally posted by flubba86 View Post
                  Is it still just Atom with a skin and a Typescript plugin? Has it diverged enough yet that it is worth having both Atom and VS Code installed?

The built in code analyzer is not from Atom, and it feels more stable than Atom, but otherwise, yes.

Comment

...and that in the six months of "open" development via GitHub there have been 300+ honored pull requests...
                    What does those double quotation marks supposed to mean? The only objectionable part of vscode's openness is the trademark, Firefox vs. Iceweasel esq, issue covered in https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/...ment-161792005 . But it's functionally open, gratis and libre.

Now, we could make a case of it being permissive, as opposed to a copyleft license... But that's another matter altogether.

Comment

Working...
                    X