Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau "Boost" Patches Show Much Performance Potential

Phoronix: Nouveau "Boost" Patches Show Much Performance Potential

Karol Herbst has been one of the independent developers leading the charge to improve Nouveau re-clocking support. Within his Git tree he's been queuing up re-clocking and voltage handling improvements for this reverse-engineered NVIDIA Linux driver. He's hoping the improved re-clocking code will be ready for the Linux 4.7~4.8 kernel, but I decided to try out his Git tree this week for some benchmarking of this experimental support.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow. that looks even better than amd results ...

Comment

This looks very promising, but the in BioShock Infinite benchmark, the gap between nouveau and nvidia is still huge.
      What could cause this?

Comment

Originally posted by totoz View Post
        This looks very promising, but the in BioShock Infinite benchmark, the gap between nouveau and nvidia is still huge.
        What could cause this?

the game uses multi cpu and the gpu scales well

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

the game uses multi cpu and the gpu scales well

Well there is a bigger performance issue in saints row the third and hopefully we will be able to figure it out why it performs that bad and hopefully get better performance in all eon based games at once

Comment

Me seeing those graphs

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

Well there is a bigger performance issue in saints row the third and hopefully we will be able to figure it out why it performs that bad and hopefully get better performance in all eon based games at once

Saints row the third was at first really lagging for me but after like 15 minutes it actually started performing well. I had everything maxed out and was pretty suprised.

Comment

Originally posted by Veske View Post
                Saints row the third was at first really lagging for me but after like 15 minutes it actually started performing well. I had everything maxed out and was pretty suprised.
                Interessting, I always thought the eon based games have weird timing issues anyway, but not that it would be that severe.

Comment

Yep something awful was going on at the start there but it really seems the wrapper is getting somewhere now.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

Interessting, I always thought the eon based games have weird timing issues anyway, but not that it would be that severe.
                    eon games mostly have same issue. once you change settings, you better restart game. few examples: DiRT Showdown will perform like crap no matter once you change settings, only setting to original will work as it should. but, if you restart then game runs normally. Saint's Row 2 has a bug where 16:9 and 4:3 are not able to be switched unless you restart the game... each one has something similar and all is solved by game restart

Comment

Working...
                    X