No announcement yet.

Here's An Ubuntu Kernel Build If You Want To Help Test Nouveau Boost Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's An Ubuntu Kernel Build If You Want To Help Test Nouveau Boost Support

Phoronix: Here's An Ubuntu Kernel Build If You Want To Help Test Nouveau Boost Support

If you have a NVIDIA GeForce 600/700 "Kepler" graphics card and wish to help out the Nouveau driver developers by testing out the experimental "boost" re-clocking patches covered yesterday on Phoronix thanks to the work by Karol Herbst, here's a 4.5-based Ubuntu kernel build to try out this weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

4.5 still has nasty performance bug for Lenovo Ideapad laptops, can we have 4.6 build ) and not Ubuntu but Debian based

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
      4.5 still has nasty performance bug for Lenovo Ideapad laptops, can we have 4.6 build ) and not Ubuntu but Debian based

you can always use my out of tree module, but it isn't ready for general usage and the kernel tree is a little outdated. Anyway. It should be there in 4.7 or 4.8.

Comment

tested the kernel and the fan of my gtx 760 was going crazy. performance looks fine, but on cities skylines the performance is still low. what is the reason why cities skylines performance so bad compared to other games on nouveau?

Comment

Originally posted by mezo View Post
          tested the kernel and the fan of my gtx 760 was going crazy. performance looks fine, but on cities skylines the performance is still low. what is the reason why cities skylines performance so bad compared to other games on nouveau?

well the nouveau part of mesa isn't optimized against performance yet. And currently we kind of lack the ability to lock into such issues, because we we don't really know how to read it out of the GPU (Performance counter still being worked on).

Saints Row the Third also only achieves like 15% performance compared to nvidia, but this is the way it is currently. But after GL 4.5 is finished, we will take care of the performance for sure. And before that some performance related this will also land. It just needs some time.

Comment

Originally posted by karolherbst View Post

you can always use my out of tree module, but it isn't ready for general usage and the kernel tree is a little outdated. Anyway. It should be there in 4.7 or 4.8.
            we tried that in Thursday on IRC i'm bozhan

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
              we tried that in Thursday on IRC i'm bozhan

gk107 was it? Well with my current tree you would be able to increase the voltage and this might do the trick. It is an ugly workaround though, but before we don't find what is causing this issue on a handfull of cards, there isn't much else we can do.

Comment

Originally posted by mezo View Post
                I have the same issue on my GTX 760, I would currently recommend this awful workaround:
                Code:
                echo 50 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/hwmon/hwmon*/pwm1_max
                You can obviously replace 50 with whatever percentage doesn't sound like a jet engine taking off.

Here's a bug report I filed on the matter:

Comment

Working...
                X