Mesa 11.2.1 Released For Stable Users Of Open-Source Linux GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 11.2.1 Released For Stable Users Of Open-Source Linux GPU Drivers

Phoronix: Mesa 11.2.1 Released For Stable Users Of Open-Source Linux GPU Drivers

Mesa 11.2.1 is now available as the first maintenance release for Mesa 11.2...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i just hurt my leg and i'm not so stable right now. i guess i'll skip this release

Comment

Im just wondering, as a newcomer to how stuff is distributed, so now the developers for the different distros will make a package-upgrade with these updates to Mesa? Im just trying to get a handle on how updates to stuff is distributed.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamOne View Post
        Im just wondering, as a newcomer to how stuff is distributed, so now the developers for the different distros will make a package-upgrade with these updates to Mesa? Im just trying to get a handle on how updates to stuff is distributed.
        In a rolling release distro (e.g. Arch), yes, that would be my guess.

With a traditional release-oriented distro (e.g. Fedora), not so sure -- Fedora 23 is currently on Mesa 11.1.x AFAICT.

In some cases, you can install an unofficial repository offering the newest X and Mesa stack (e.g. Ubuntu).

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post

With a traditional release-oriented distro (e.g. Fedora), not so sure -- Fedora 23 is currently on Mesa 11.1.x AFAICT.

In some cases, you can install an unofficial repository offering the newest X and Mesa stack (e.g. Ubuntu).
          Mesa distributes feature updates every 3 months, as a new minor release # - 11.1, 11.2, 11.3, etc. Distros that are not rolling-release generally do not package those, at least not officially. You can always find them somewhere unnofficial, though.

Major version updates (11.0, 12.0, etc.) are the same as the minor (3 month) updates, only they signify that a driver has reached a new level of OpenGL support.

The maintenance releases are intended to be used for bugfixes only and avoid regressions (11.2.1, 11.2.2, 11.2.3, etc.) and are released much more often. The idea behind these is to allow distros to package these as standard updates for everyone, although I'm not certain if all of them actually do it or not. Mesa will generally support these for 2 versions at a time (so 11.2.x and 11.1.x currently, with 11.1.x soon to be dropped)

Comment

It seems Debian will wait for first maintenance release before shifting a minor from experimental to unstable and onwards.
            I haven't been following enough to see what they do for major changes but I suspect the same and will be watching closely for 12.0.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
              ... Gallin3D ...
              What is this?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                Distros that are not rolling-release generally do not package those, at least not officially.
                long-running distros have official hardware service pack upgrades
                even fedora 23 received upgrade to mesa 11.1 from 11.0
                so the rule depends on distro sanity

Comment

will you become more sure if i tell you mesa 11.1 was released after fedora 23 release?

Comment

Sounds like it'd be worth testing out Arch, then...

Comment

Working...
                    X