RadeonSI / AMD GCN Is Actually The Mesa 11.2 Requirement For Tomb Raider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI / AMD GCN Is Actually The Mesa 11.2 Requirement For Tomb Raider

Phoronix: RadeonSI / AMD GCN Is Actually The Mesa 11.2 Requirement For Tomb Raider

Yesterday Feral Interactive published the Linux system requirements for Tomb Raider. They mentioned Mesa 11.2 support on the AMD side, but the graphics card's minimum requirement is very different from what's actually the minimum requirement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, does anyone know when this is going to be released?

Comment

I'm wondering if they ported TressFX, or if that stays a Windows-exclusive feature. It was a big deal, but it'd be an interesting piece of tech too, since it used DX physics and graphics. To do it correctly in a cross-platform way, I imagine they'd have to use OpenCL and sync, or use the OpenGL shader extension, which is supported (maybe) by Mesa 11.3 on these cards with LLVM 3.9 (which hasn't been released either).

Comment

So the Tomb Raider Linux port isn't light enough for playing on old pre-GCN hardware with the R600 Gallium3D driver
        all their ports are more or less fixated on having 4.3 support for some extensions. i doubt this is so much about power as it is about can it even work or not. and then there is a thing where Feral always specifies much heftier minimum requirements than they are actually needed. all their games can be played on much lower hw. they probably want to avoid bug reports saying "poor performance" with simple "not supported"

Originally posted by Min1123 View Post
        I'm wondering if they ported TressFX, or if that stays a Windows-exclusive feature. It was a big deal, but it'd be an interesting piece of tech too, since it used DX physics and graphics. To do it correctly in a cross-platform way, I imagine they'd have to use OpenCL and sync, or use the OpenGL shader extension, which is supported (maybe) by Mesa 11.3 on these cards with LLVM 3.9 (which hasn't been released either).
        they said TressFX is ported as well in their gamecast on April 1st
        Last edited by justmy2cents; 19 April 2016, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

all their ports are more or less fixated on having 4.3 support for some extensions. i doubt this is so much about power as it is about can it even work or not. and then there is a thing where Feral always specifies much heftier minimum requirements than they are actually needed. all their games can be played on much lower hw. they probably want to avoid bug reports saying "poor performance" with simple "not supported"

they said TressFX is ported as well in their gamecast on April 1st
          Having a common baseline for all titles can be a money-saving trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Min1123 View Post
            Devs confirmed that they have ported TressFX code.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post

I wish they could push the ported code to the gpuopen github. Would be nice to take a look

Comment

And with this, I think that I can move my gamebox to dualbooting linux with the eventual plan of removing Windows altogether. I don't have many graphically demanding games, but this was one of them. Every demanding game that I both have and care about has a linux port now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post

That's cool. I would like to see appropriate command line parameters so it can be used as a real world benchmark.

Comment

Wow, do you have the source for that?
                    I think the OSX port didn't have TressFX.

Comment

Working...
                    X