Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadeonSI Compute Shaders Land In Mesa Git

Phoronix: RadeonSI Compute Shaders Land In Mesa Git

The AMD RadeonSI Gallium3D driver for GCN GPUs now has support for OpenGL Compute Shaders within the latest Mesa code!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is truly great year for mesa. :-)

Comment

Mesa developers keep doing great job. It wasn't that long ago we were celebrating 4.0 milestone. It's probably not long for radeonsi to reach 4.5, maybe even in 2016? With more performance optimizations open source should be able to also supersede binary drivers in terms of speed.

It's still a long road for OpenCL (CUDA is probably not an option?), but I'd guess it's just a matter of time.

Comment

Great, is there any game which already uses 4.4/4.5?
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

This is very sweet. And a good thing since Polaris will likely use mostly the same stack for OpenGL functions (talk about really neat support at launchtime). Well, okay, there is that DAL thing, but hopefully this is just a matter of time.
          For all recent cards this is really good news and I guess those bugs can be fixed in a reasonable time (at least I am optimistic, but never underestimate bugs...).
          The remaining question is: Will the older cards / chips (pre GCN / radeonsi) also receive updates to gain the functionality? Some older models need double precision emulation (what fglrx / Catalyst) did to gain official compatibility with the full feature set. Will somebody thing it is enough benefit?
          But I guess the current priority is to get the radeonsi stack flying (which is completely okay).
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Great, is there any game which already uses 4.4/4.5?
            Dying light requires 4.4

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: RadeonSI Compute Shaders Land In Mesa Git

This is now the second driver after Intel's i965 Mesa driver to support compute shaders as needed by the OpenGL 4.3 specification.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...te-Shaders-Git
              This is not totally correct actually because compute shaders have been merged for nvc0 few weeks before. :-) But yeah, the extension is not enabled by default because compute shaders are not so useful without images support. Speaking of this, ARB_shader_image_load_store/ARB_shader_image_size for GK104 is already on mesa-dev and the GK110 support will be available in a couple of days. Fermi and Maxwell are going to be a bit more painful but I hope they will land before the next major mesa release.

Comment

and 4.4 & 4.5 are almost done.

Comment

Originally posted by nimroot View Post
                  It's probably not long for radeonsi to reach 4.5, maybe even in 2016?
                  maybe even summer 2016
                  Originally posted by nimroot View Post
                  It's still a long road for OpenCL
                  amd will opensource their proprietary opencl

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                    I guess those bugs can be fixed in a reasonable time (at least I am optimistic, but never underestimate bugs...).
                    there are more time to fix bugs than to develop features, because bugs can be fixed after feature freeze. btw, the bug in question affects all drivers
                    The remaining question is: Will the older cards / chips (pre GCN / radeonsi) also receive updates to gain the functionality?
                    yes
                    But I guess the current priority is to get the radeonsi stack flying (which is completely okay).
                    it is done by different people. r600 is mostly taken care of by non-amd

Comment

Working...
                    X