KDE Neon Releases User Edition Tech Preview, Based On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Neon Releases User Edition Tech Preview, Based On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Phoronix: KDE Neon Releases User Edition Tech Preview, Based On Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

Those working on the KDE Neon initiative for making it more easy to consume the bleeding-edge KDE software have today announced their User Edition Tech Preview...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE Plasma 5.6.3, Qt 5.5
    This is honestly horrifying. 80% of all bugs and problems users had on Plasma 5.4 and 5.5 were not problems in Plasma itself, but problems in Qt. If by "stable base" they mean to never upgrade Qt in Neon, then the distro is doomed from the start, albeit it should show why ignoring new releases of your core system is just as insane as ignoring userspace software updates (which is why Neon is even a thing).

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post

This is honestly horrifying. 80% of all bugs and problems users had on Plasma 5.4 and 5.5 were not problems in Plasma itself, but problems in Qt. If by "stable base" they mean to never upgrade Qt in Neon, then the distro is doomed from the start, albeit it should show why ignoring new releases of your core system is just as insane as ignoring userspace software updates (which is why Neon is even a thing).
      That is the opposite of what is being done. Neon is updating the KDE software and Qt, possibly some other utilities. The whole point of Neon is ensuring the stack directly affecting Plasma and KDE Applications is up-to-date.

By "Stable Base" they are talking about the underlying Ubuntu LTS. Even then if something is too out-of-date and breaking things in a couple years, Jonathan has pointed out there's no reason they can't backport additional software if necessary.
      Last edited by Kver; 20 April 2016, 01:12 PM.

Comment

This is honestly horrifying. 80% of all bugs and problems users had on Plasma 5.4 and 5.5 were not problems in Plasma itself, but problems in Qt. If by "stable base" they mean to never upgrade Qt in Neon, then the distro is doomed from the start.............
        I was sure the 1st comment would be an attack against KDE
        I do not know why OSS comunity have such a hate of it, everything KDE is doing is immediatly backstabbed here...

I really hope Neon will replace the 'good old' Kubuntu that so many users liked (before it was slowly left behind). I wish Opensuse have a real competitor on the fancy desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post
          Neon is updating the KDE software and Qt, possibly some other utilities. The whole point of Neon is ensuring the stack directly affecting Plasma and KDE Applications is up-to-date.
          I sure hope so, just seeing Qt 5.5 made me want to cry for the maintainers who would have to deal with the bug reports running Plasma 5.6 on Qt 5.5. But it is the same kind of PITA situation I imagine will come when Neon is stuck on the current gstreamer, ffmpeg, systemd, coreutils, and all the immense breakages that can and probably will cause a year from now.

I do not know why OSS comunity have such a hate of it, everything KDE is doing is immediatly backstabbed here...
          KDE has been my desktop for going on four years now. I develop for it, I make my own programs using its frameworks, I fully believe in it. That is why I am pointing out absolute issues that will arise with Neon - I just hope Jonathan Riddell and his team are ready for what will be immense integration problems trying to run what will eventually be Plasma 5.12-5.14 on all the system libraries of 16.04.

This is surely a step closer to what might actually be the first legitimate distribution for non-developers and enthusiasts, but it is still only one step towards what will eventually need to happen to compete with Android et al.

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

I was sure the 1st comment would be an attack against KDE

I really hope Neon will replace the 'good old' Kubuntu that so many users liked (before it was slowly left behind). I wish Opensuse have a real competitor on the fancy desktop.
            I use Kubuntu and will be switching to Neon. Any and all bad experiences I have had with KDE have to do with Akonadi.

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post

That is the opposite of what is being done. Neon is updating the KDE software and Qt, possibly some other utilities. The whole point of Neon is ensuring the stack directly affecting Plasma and KDE Applications is up-to-date.

By "Stable Base" they are talking about the underlying Ubuntu LTS. Even then if something is too out-of-date and breaking things in a couple years, Jonathan has pointed out there's no reason they can't backport additional software if necessary.

​I'm much more optimistic about the project than previously, but I think zanny's issue was that the Qt version is 5.5 when we've been told again and again that bug fixes in Qt 5.6 and 5.7 are going to fix many of our issues with KDE software.

Comment

I don't know about you Michael, but I use software and I consume beer.

Comment

They're just waiting on Qt 5.6.1, because 5.6.0 also has significant bugs. Also, do the words "Tech Preview" mean anything to you?
                  Personally, I'm waiting for more apps to be ported as well before I switch.

On another note, how on earth does "no UEFI support" become KDE's problem?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

They're just waiting on Qt 5.6.1, because 5.6.0 also has significant bugs. Also, do the words "Tech Preview" mean anything to you?
                    Personally, I'm waiting for more apps to be ported as well before I switch.

On another note, how on earth does "no UEFI support" become KDE's problem?
                    I think it's just an issue with how they're building their ISOs. https://todo.kde.org/?controller=tas...w&task_id=1611

Comment

Working...
                    X