Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Released

Ubuntu 16.04 "Xenial Xerus" has been released as the newest Long-Term Support distribution from Canonical...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

still trying it's live version

Comment

I hear that until https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/thread.html doesn't 404, it isn't official and could change. As of about 5-6 hours ago, there was apparently talk of re-spinning ISOs due to issues.

Comment

I thought you couldn't upgrade from say 14.04 for about a month or was it first point release? I can't recall which.

I remember having issues upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04, or maybe I'm thinking about the upgrade message. Tbf though, the website is still showing 14.04 as LTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
          I hear that until https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/thread.html doesn't 404, it isn't official and could change. As of about 5-6 hours ago, there was apparently talk of re-spinning ISOs due to issues.

[strike]Kubuntu may need a respin as it's installer crashes during setup if secure boot is enabled. No problem in Ubuntu.[/strike]

Edit: Looks like they already respinned the ISO before the mirrors started propagating late last night.
          Last edited by spikengineer; 21 April 2016, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maquis196 View Post
            I thought you couldn't upgrade from say 14.04 for about a month or was it first point release? I can't recall which.

I remember having issues upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04, or maybe I'm thinking about the upgrade message. Tbf though, the website is still showing 14.04 as LTS.
            You can run do-release-upgrade -d to skip the waiting periode.

Comment

I'm glad that 14.04 will be supported until April 2019.

Comment

it's just come out, and yet it has old package versions. but at least for the first time since ubuntu 12.04 they're finally following an upstream long term support kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post

You can run do-release-upgrade -d to skip the waiting periode.
                  I will let others discover the little annoying bugs of launch this time... waiting for 16.04.1

Comment

Originally posted by mercutio View Post
                    it's just come out, and yet it has old package versions. but at least for the first time since ubuntu 12.04 they're finally following an upstream long term support kernel.
                    If you know something about Ubuntu, you know it almost never ships with the latest version of anything. even more so in the case of LTS releases. There are other distros for you if you're after the cutting edge.

Comment

Working...
                    X