Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenIndiana 2016.04 Released To Let OpenSolaris Live On

Phoronix: OpenIndiana 2016.04 Released To Let OpenSolaris Live On

OpenIndiana 2016.04 has been released as the newest version of this operating system based on Illumos and originally derived from OpenSolaris...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Opposed to you comment there are release notes just a link down the "As always, there were a lot of changes since last snapshot" sentence, if writing a news article about something I would hope that the author at least read once the source, its not really long...

Comment

Originally posted by t.lam View Post
      Opposed to you comment there are release notes just a link down the "As always, there were a lot of changes since last snapshot" sentence, if writing a news article about something I would hope that the author at least read once the source, its not really long...

At the time of writing that article, the release notes link wasn't there. Now that the link is there, will take a look.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The Solarish distros OmniOS and SmartOS are more popular than OpenIndiana.

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
          The Solarish distros OmniOS and SmartOS are more popular than OpenIndiana.
          Ummm, not to dispute this, but... source?

I never even heard about OmniOS, I heard about SmartOS but I didn't know what it was exactly, while I know what OpenIndiana is.

Comment

This is a Hipster Openindiana snapshot, rolling release based. Openindiana deserves more attention, folks. The best Solaris-derived distro.

Comment

Yeah, OpenIndiana Hipster is the OpenIndiana development branch and follows a rolling release model. A new OI Hipster release is like a new release from Arch Linux, Sabayon, PCLinuxOS, or any other rolling release OS that periodically updates its installation snapshot, which can help explain the lack of fanfare or sparseness of information.

Nominally, OI also has a stable release branch, but hasn't been updated since like 2013, and I generally have had a hard time finding info about recent development there. I think they've mostly given up on stable releases. OI is the illumos reference distro, and I get the impression that most illumos development is done by companies that mainly produce specialized systems and appliances. Just speculating here, but I'd guess that for these companies, the main attraction of OI is as a place to experiment. I don't think they care that much about a general purpose stable distro of illumos.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge View Post
                Nominally, OI also has a stable release branch, but hasn't been updated since like 2013, and I generally have had a hard time finding info about recent development there. I think they've mostly given up on stable releases.
                OpenIndiana has not given up on the idea of a stable release but it is just not realistic for a reason that people do not realize: earlier (pre-)stable releases derived from OpenSolaris were assembled from different consolidations, using different build systems and mostly built with SunStudio.

The Hipster branch was a way to regain momentum by making it easier to build/update the system with one tree, oi-userland, and one compiler, GCC.
                This transition took about 2 years involving plenty of updates and deprecations of legacy software (as Solaris has been very concerned with backward compatibility).
                Breakage happens from time to time but mostly at the desktop level: the core system is fairly stable.

Information about current work is always available at http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Hipster and announcements/news are provided on a regular basis on IRC and mailing-lists.

Serge is right about the illumos development being mostly done by companies, while the OpenIndiana project integrates this core system together with desktop components and provides/ports additional software (portability issues can be very time-consuming).
                The next big step is the update of X for which all the oi-userland components have been prepared and are now tested.
                As soon as the transition process is finalized and testing assesses that things are in place, freezing a stable image is possible.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Ummm, not to dispute this, but... source?

I never even heard about OmniOS, I heard about SmartOS but I didn't know what it was exactly, while I know what OpenIndiana is.
                  Just check the OpenSolaris community. Typically, OpenSolarish distros are used for ZFS storage. So here is an interesting thread on how to build such a ZFS NAS and it is quite informative

Comment

Working...
                  X