Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEMU 2.6 Is Due In Just Over One Week With Many New Features

Phoronix: QEMU 2.6 Is Due In Just Over One Week With Many New Features

QEMU 2.6-RC3 was released this week and QEMU 2.6.0 should be officially released at the beginning of May. Here's a look at some of the new features coming to this important piece of the Linux open-source virtualization stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is there anyway to emulate a complete Nexus device like Raspberry Pi 2 emulation? Or can any other solution? I want to run the official Nexus images in an emulator, if at all possible.

Comment

Originally posted by braderhart

This seems huge as it means full virtual 3D game support using SPICE. I haven't tried it yet, but it should eliminate the need to run Windows outside a VM.
      I'm sure it still needs to be optimized quite a bit, plus it will never beat GPU-passthrough for pure speed.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by braderhart

This seems huge as it means full virtual 3D game support using SPICE. I haven't tried it yet, but it should eliminate the need to run Windows outside a VM.
        VirGL doesn't yet have a Windows guest driver, so I don't see the relevance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

I'm sure it still needs to be optimized quite a bit, plus it will never beat GPU-passthrough for pure speed.
          GPU passthrough is a total pain in the ass, from finding hardware that can actually do so, to configuring the thing.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

GPU passthrough is a total pain in the ass, from finding hardware that can actually do so, to configuring the thing.
            No disagreement, but: bare metal > passthrough > VIRGL > spice > unaccelerated.
            All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              No disagreement, but: bare metal > passthrough > VIRGL > spice > unaccelerated.
              I know, I was just pointing out that setting up GPU passthrough isn't usually worth the aggravation for anyone that isn't a decent linux sysadmin already (and even then...), that's why braderhat was so interested about Virgl. He probably isn't HARDCOAR ENUFF to attempt a GPU passthrough.

I'd also like to note that for the common user's usecases for virtualization (currently what Virtualbox and VMware do) you can get away with gpu emulation (Virgl) without having a major impact on productivity.

Comment

VGA passthrough is easy with KVM using IOMMU and 2 gpu's..
                Last edited by staggerlee; 12 May 2016, 08:56 AM. Reason: GRAMMAR

Comment

Now 2 seats that's a bear

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Hmm, I found GPU passthrough to be rather simple in KVM, QEMU in Debian. I even found that my current home server already supported everything I needed and stuck my old GTX 680 into my server.

All I had to do was enable IOMMU for Intel in GRUB, look up my GPU's PCIe BUS identifier, and set that in my VM's config file and boot it. My motherboard has on-board video so there isn't any problems passing the one discrete GPU into a Windows VM.

Everything works and 3D game performance seems close to native.

Comment

Working...
                    X