Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vivaldi 1.1 Web Browser Released

Phoronix: Vivaldi 1.1 Web Browser Released

If you aren't excited by today's Firefox 46 release with GTK3 support but happen to be a fan of the up-and-coming, multi-platform Vivaldi web-browser, there is a new release on that front too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Beware that Opera is proprietary software.

Comment

I have just posted about the source code: https://vivaldi.com/source/

Comment

Originally posted by stephen82 View Post
        I have just posted about the source code: https://vivaldi.com/source/
        650 mb of source code? I'm downloadnig to see if I can compile it but the download speed seems very slow. Does it include precompiled libraries?

Comment

I find it funny when someone has problems with proprietary software, thinking opensource equals privacy and security. What you gonna do with the humongous source code of a web browser, audit it yourself? What is the logic of bitching about proprietary browser software, when you use e-mail services like Gmail?

People love to say Chrome is spyware, when is Firefox that keeps checked more options to "phone home" by default. And the EULA of the plugins Mozilla deliver in modern version of its browser, are a eye opener.

And the browser is only half of the privacy/security issue. You have to blindingly thrust sites, because you cannot audit then. Or you use their services, or not.

Comment

Originally posted by CapsAdmin View Post

Does it include precompiled libraries?
            I have no idea. I happened to read the official announcement a few days ago.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              I find it funny when someone has problems with proprietary software, thinking opensource equals privacy and security. What you gonna do with the humongous source code of a web browser, audit it yourself? What is the logic of bitching about proprietary browser software, when you use e-mail services like Gmail?

People love to say Chrome is spyware, when is Firefox that keeps checked more options to "phone home" by default. And the EULA of the plugins Mozilla deliver in modern version of its browser, are a eye opener.

And the browser is only half of the privacy/security issue. You have to blindingly thrust sites, because you cannot audit then. Or you use their services, or not.
              It's probably the same line of thinking that says "open source is good because other people maintain it".

Comment

Originally posted by CapsAdmin View Post

650 mb of source code? I'm downloadnig to see if I can compile it but the download speed seems very slow. Does it include precompiled libraries?
                It seems a little excessive, doesn't it? Firefox is a pretty big source tree, but that's still under 200Mb...

Mind you, I suspect this quote form the main page offers the explanation: "we use JavaScript and React to create the user interface with the help of Node.js and a long list of NPM modules". Node is pretty cool, but my experience of it is that any non-trivial app drags in a huge dependency tree of NPM modules, which could easily account for the file size. It's not that the modules themselves are all that large, but NPM doesn't seem to handle de-duplication of dependencies well...

Comment

I guess I was actually wrong by posting about Vivaldi being open source. Just because they are offering its source code doesn't mean it is. I downloaded it myself (quite fast on my side, 11 minutes only) and the majority of source files have a Vivaldi copyright.

What's the point sharing it then if it's copyrighted and can't use it freely unless I ask for permission? :/

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

It seems a little excessive, doesn't it? Firefox is a pretty big source tree, but that's still under 200Mb...
                    The source code extracted reveals that chromium is 2.7gb while everything else is 3mb.

Comment

Working...
                    X