Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreELEC 7.0 Released For A Kodi 16.1 Experience

Phoronix: LibreELEC 7.0 Released For A Kodi 16.1 Experience

LibreELEC, the recent fork of OpenELEC by a number of the developers for that project building an OS around XBMC/Kodi, has issued their v7.0 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the value proposition of LibreElec? I don't understand why anyone would use this. Even their own web page does a poor job of explaining this - in fact, it doesn't articulate a single reason to use their fork vs. OpenElec. Uhhhh no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      What's the value proposition of LibreElec? I don't understand why anyone would use this. Even their own web page does a poor job of explaining this - in fact, it doesn't articulate a single reason to use their fork vs. OpenElec. Uhhhh no thanks!
      I was interested in LibreElec and have infact decided to try it out in place of OpenElec essentially based on the rate of development, recent activity and onboarding of contributors
      The "about" gives you the background

This article tells you why libreelec was conceived

And you can check the pulse to see "indicative" relative rates of activity
      OpenELEC - The living room PC for everyone. Contribute to OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv development by creating an account on GitHub.

Just enough OS for KODI. Contribute to LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv development by creating an account on GitHub.

I used the above information to inform my decision to try it out. So far (in place upgrade from OpenElec and 2 hours of use) so good.

Comment

Originally posted by sohofrankie View Post
        I was interested in LibreElec and have infact decided to try it out in place of OpenElec essentially based on the rate of development, recent activity and onboarding of contributors
        The "about" gives you the background
        https://libreelec.tv/about/
        No, actually, that doesn't tell me anything. It's some kind of nutty manifesto that doesn't differentiate it - at all - from OpenELEC. Why should I care about their philosophy on project governance? This means nothing to an end user; it tells me nothing about the product.

This article tells you why libreelec was conceived
        https://libreelec.tv/2016/03/lets-rock-this-gig/
        Hardly. A silly rock-n-roll band analogy? Lol, what? Sounds like the vapid nonsense that appeals to clueless hipster millenials. This is less than useless to the decision making process of an adult. And again, it tells me nothing about the product or why I should use it.

And you can check the pulse to see "indicative" relative rates of activity
        OpenELEC - The living room PC for everyone. Contribute to OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv development by creating an account on GitHub.

https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/pulse
        Yawn. Again, this tell me nothing about the product, or why I should prefer it to OpenElec.

They can't even answer the simple question of "Why should I use this?". Sorry, but no thanks.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 26 April 2016, 12:30 PM.

Comment

They would do a lot of better if they had forked OpenELEC to make a "PlexELEC".

Comment

Originally posted by alexcortes View Post
            They would do a lot of better if they had forked OpenELEC to make a "PlexELEC".

You mean like this? https://github.com/RasPlex/OpenPHT-Embedded

As for LibreELEC, I've followed their fork for a while and they've done some cool addon work, like Docker. They also have very good support for the Raspberry Pi. If you look at the commit log there is a lot of activity. For now there's not a big difference in features, hard to say now what direction they will move in.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              No, actually, that doesn't tell me anything. It's some kind of nutty manifesto that doesn't differentiate it - at all - from OpenELEC. Why should I care about their philosophy on project governance? This means nothing to an end user; it tells me nothing about the product.

Hardly. A silly rock-n-roll band analogy? Lol, what? Sounds like the vapid nonsense that appeals to clueless hipster millenials. This is less than useless to the decision making process of an adult. And again, it tells me nothing about the product or why I should use it.

Yawn. Again, this tell me nothing about the product, or why I should prefer it to OpenElec.

They can't even answer the simple question of "Why should I use this?". Sorry, but no thanks.

I think they are happy that you don't use it. So for you: Don't use it, please. Thanks much in advance.

Comment

Can't you read guys? LibreElec says "creative differences". In a version or two we will probably see a more obvious path.

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post
                  I think they are happy that you don't use it. So for you: Don't use it, please. Thanks much in advance.
                  That's good, thank you. In other news, I've forked the Linux kernel today. I have named the fork Penix. I can't tell you what the difference is, but Penix sounds like something you'd be intensely interested in, so there you go.

Comment

I think the most important questions are, which one tries to remain slim, which has plans for commercialization. My impression with OpenELEC on Rpi 1:
                    - boot time is bad (around 50 seconds -- custom kernel and busybox boots in 5 seconds, yes I have one of the fastest SD cards according to Linaro benchmarks)
                    - CEC doesn't work properly, some handshake issues if TV is shut down and powered up. It only works if you always shut down RPi with the TV
                    - some plugins don't work, but it's probably an armv6 issue, some are way too slow on RPi
                    - no browser
                    - media scraping takes forever even though I have gigabit network and NAS with 110 MB/s sustained media throughput via NFS4.2
                    - kodi is slow at traversing NFS shares and listing files. busybox & find is around 10 times faster even when scraping metadata with an mp3/exif tool
                    - sucks as image browser, only usable for tv series/movies/videos
                    - sucks as music player, playlist management is clumsy
                    - the airplay system seems to get stuck if there's an pulseaudio system streaming audio in LAN. impossible to turn off airplay without kodi hanging if network connected
                    - the user interface uses too much CPU, almost 100%. The device becomes hot (60 degrees celsius). It's better to play some hardcore h.264 movie if you want to save power, stopping the movie and displaying still image increases power consumption many times
                    - the RPi version is full of unnecessary crap like bluetooth/wifi modules. I only use the onboard ethernet and CEC/HDMI. Reason is, wifi dongles crash and RPi USB power fluctuates too much and reboot the whole system with larger wifi dongles
                    - doesn't use LTO kernel or userspace so wastes space and is unoptimized
                    - doesn't use musl instead of glibc so wastes space, RAM and is slower
                    - does not ship with swapon/swapoff tools even though has swap support built in kernel (wtf)
                    - uses systemd so it's bloated compared to runit and lightweight equipped distros (alpine linux, void linux, clear linux etc)
                    - I could care about commercial support but does any of their supported devices even have 4k output? I don't see any point upgrading to non-4k media player when i already have 1080p support with my old one.

Comment

Working...
                    X