Nouveau NVC0 Appears Ready With OpenGL 4.2 Support For Select NVIDIA GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau NVC0 Appears Ready With OpenGL 4.2 Support For Select NVIDIA GPUs

Phoronix: Nouveau NVC0 Appears Ready With OpenGL 4.2 Support For Select NVIDIA GPUs

It's an exciting day for users of Nouveau, the open-source NVIDIA Linux graphics stack, assuming you have a GK104 or GK110 GPU...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad that reclocking is basically nonexistent with these GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
      Too bad that reclocking is basically nonexistent with these GPUs.
      Actually it's precisely these GPUs that have the best reclocking support...

Also, to correct what was said... support is added for the GK104 and GK110 families, i.e. SM30 and SM35. That's all Kepler GPUs. And also ARB_shader_image_size will now also be enabled. As well as ARB_compute_shader which was just being disabled due to lack of image support. And ES 3.1 should also get flipped on as a result of this. https://xkcd.com/386/

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Nouveau NVC0 Appears Ready With OpenGL 4.2 Support For Select NVIDIA GPUs

It's an exciting day for users of Nouveau, the open-source NVIDIA Linux graphics stack, assuming you have a GK104 or GK110 GPU...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...LSL-420-Select
        Well, ARB_compute_shader has been merged a few months ago (it's already in mesa 11.2) but this extension was not enabled by default because it's pretty useless without ARB_shader_image_load_store. With that series, ARB_compute_shader and ARB_shader_image_size are now enabled on GK104 and GK110.

By the way, GL3.txt is whatever you want, and for the nvc0 driver we only update it when all chipsets support the extension which is not the case for ARB_shader_image_load_store because Fermi and Maxwell need to be done (I'm working on it).

So, for Kepler the last thing to do is this robustness thing.

Comment

Wondering about the reclocking thing ...

Now reclocking goes on one family, what it's needed to write some kind of power planificator?

I mean, a program inside the driver that switches the card automatically toward states based on work load.

And how may that program knows about how heavy is the workload?
          Last edited by DebianLinuxero; 26 April 2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post

Now reclocking goes on one family, what it's needed to write some kind of power planificator?

I mean, a program inside the driver that switches the card automatically toward states based on work load.

this can be done on the PMU on those GPUs. I already have a work in progress prototype for that working, it will come this year most likely after the reclocking stuff gets merged.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post

There are counters inside the GPU which indicate how "busy" a particular sub-unit is. The problem is that reclocking is not reliable - if you're using the GPU for display, there's like a 0.1% chance that it'll hang. That's fine if you do it by hand every once in a while, but if done automatically you're going to end up hanging stuff pretty quickly. First the reclocks themselves have to be rock-solid -- the auto-switching bit of it is pretty easy.

Comment

And Intel FP64 support is still MIA.

Comment

Originally posted by imirkin View Post

Actually it's precisely these GPUs that have the best reclocking support...

Also, to correct what was said... support is added for the GK104 and GK110 families, i.e. SM30 and SM35. That's all Kepler GPUs. And also ARB_shader_image_size will now also be enabled. As well as ARB_compute_shader which was just being disabled due to lack of image support. And ES 3.1 should also get flipped on as a result of this. https://xkcd.com/386/

Misread GK110 for GF110 (Fermi 580), which is my current GPU.

Comment

Off-topic: Shouldn't GL3.txt be renamed to GL4 or something as all drivers have achieved OpenGL 3.3 and OpenGLES 3?

On-topic: Congratulation to all involved into it (y)

Comment

Working...
                    X