Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unreal Engine 4.12 Preview 1 Has The Vulkan Mobile Renderer

Phoronix: Unreal Engine 4.12 Preview 1 Has The Vulkan Mobile Renderer

Epic Games today announced the first preview release for the upcoming Unreal Engine 4.12...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

To be clear about what Desktop means here, the Vulkan support in UE 4.12 is a port of the mobile target code. If your desktop has a Vulkan Driver, it should be able to run this code on the Desktop, in the same way it can run the Android and iOS targets on the Desktop.

They are focusing on mobile use case first, since it will receive the most benefit from this move. It should allow a noticeable improvement in battery life and/or game performance to help differentiate the market.

Comment

It's quite clear to me they will take their time to test and QA Vulkan support for all desktops, so I don't think they need to rush this.

Comment

Are there really zero updated demos for linux?

Also what about their launcher for Linux?

Organize anything, together. Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects into boards. In one glance, know what's being worked on, who's working on what, and where something is in a process.

• Editor is ready for early access, with bug/polish going forward. Until we make a Linux launcher available, it won't be in Binary.

Are they ever going to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post
          Are there really zero updated demos for linux?

Also what about their launcher for Linux?

Organize anything, together. Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects into boards. In one glance, know what's being worked on, who's working on what, and where something is in a process.

Are they ever going to do that?

I haven't seen any stated commitment to releasing a Linux launcher or binary installers for the engine on Linux, if that's what you mean.

Last time I saw that asked on the forums or AnswerHub, the answer was something to the effect of "you can compile the editor on Linux if you want." Which is pretty much just avoiding the question.

Comment

Working...
          X