Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Members Approve Becoming Part Of The SPI Organization

Phoronix: X.Org Members Approve Becoming Part Of The SPI Organization

The results just are in of the 2016 X.Org Foundation elections and the members have voted to become part of the SPI. The foundation thus is basically becoming dissolved to become part of Software in the Public Interest...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also remember this https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...y-Disagreement

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
      I don't want to hate on eOS, but their download button is a "Purchase" button, which does make me cringe a bit (or a lot rather). Note: I did not say that they don't have the right to do so, the fact that it makes me cringe is simply my reaction, can't help it.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

I don't want to hate on eOS, but their download button is a "Purchase" button, which does make me cringe a bit (or a lot rather). Note: I did not say that they don't have the right to do so, the fact that it makes me cringe is simply my reaction, can't help it.
        You know you don't have to donate?

Comment

Originally posted by M1kkko View Post
          But he had a valid point. Todays Elementary OS page correctly states it ist an LLC so it was a valid point to do that approach, even if the blogpost was an overreaction.

Comment

Originally posted by aschmidtm View Post

You know you don't have to donate?
            I am fully aware that I can purchase for $0. It's the wording/presentation that makes me cringe... Again, just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post

I am fully aware that I can purchase for $0. It's the wording/presentation that makes me cringe... Again, just my opinion.
              Tottaly agreed.
              Having a (true) download button with a donation option on the side would be perfectly acceptable.
              This is just money-grabbing.
              It's not ethic. Period.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

Tottaly agreed.
                Having a (true) download button with a donation option on the side would be perfectly acceptable. (And the source remains freely available.)
                This is just money-grabbing.
                It's not ethic. Period.
                Why do you think its not ethical? Should it be forbidden to ask for money for your hard work?
                Too many people seem to think that if software is open source you don't have to pay for it.
                That developers are people that need money too, does not always come to mind.
                While it may have been a bit controversial, I do think that this makes it harder to avoid thinking about the the financial aspect of open source software.

I'm not saying that I think that this is the best solution, I'd rather contribute by creating bug bounties or by directly contributing to the code base, but I can understand why they do it.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanM View Post
                  Why do you think its not ethical? Should it be forbidden to ask for money for your hard work?
                  Too many people seem to think that if software is open source you don't have to pay for it.
                  That developers are people that need money too, does not always come to mind.
                  While it may have been a bit controversial, I do think that this makes it harder to avoid thinking about the the financial aspect of open source software.

I'm not saying that I think that this is the best solution, I'd rather contribute by creating bug bounties or by directly contributing to the code base, but I can understand why they do it.
                  Let me try to clarify...
                  I think is perfectly ok to ask for money, even if it's open source.
                  I also think it is ok to ask for donations and allow us to download it for free.
                  What i don't agree is this particular approach: it is free, but they try to lead us to think that it is not. It's just shady and unethical.
                  All i'm saying is this: do whatever they want. BUT make it perfectly clear!

I really think we shouldn't even be asking for clarification with Linux and OSS. It's just sad.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

Let me try to clarify...
                    I think is perfectly ok to ask for money, even if it's open source.
                    I also think it is ok to ask for donations and allow us to download it for free.
                    What i don't agree is this particular approach: it is free, but they try to lead us to think that it is not. It's just shady and unethical.
                    All i'm saying is this: do whatever they want. BUT make it perfectly clear!

I really think we shouldn't even be asking for clarification with Linux and OSS. It's just sad.
                    I understand. Thanks for your response.

Comment

Working...
                    X