Unity 8, Mir, Snappy & Other Focuses For Next Week's Ubuntu UOS-1605

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 8, Mir, Snappy & Other Focuses For Next Week's Ubuntu UOS-1605

Phoronix: Unity 8, Mir, Snappy & Other Focuses For Next Week's Ubuntu UOS-1605

Next week is UOS-1605: the latest Ubuntu Online Summit where planning will take place for Ubuntu 16.10, the Yakkety Yak release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Damn, I clicked on the 2d thread of Ubuntu "discourse"

and I read a guy just suggesting using less command line get kicked in the balls for pages.
    I think they definitly lost a user on this one...

Nice idea to close this!

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post
      Damn, I clicked on the 2d thread of Ubuntu "discourse"

and I read a guy just suggesting using less command line get kicked in the balls for pages.
      I think they definitly lost a user on this one...

Nice idea to close this!
      That guy could simply just install synaptic which im pretty sure is in the software center. So he's complaint is invalid even from the beginning as he don't need the terminal at all. He is complaining before even doing some research on he's problem, maby thats why they don't agree with him?

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post

That guy could simply just install synaptic which im pretty sure is in the software center. So he's complaint is invalid even from the beginning as he don't need the terminal at all. He is complaining before even doing some research on he's problem, maby thats why they don't agree with him?
        Not really, he makes the statement that everytime he Googles for help about Ubuntu he gets command lines (and this is true even for actions that actually have a GUI...) and that this makes the "average Joe" run away from Linux.
        His example was about software installation, not the best one I agree

Comment

Originally posted by Passso View Post

Not really, he makes the statement that everytime he Googles for help about Ubuntu he gets command lines (and this is true even for actions that actually have a GUI...) and that this makes the "average Joe" run away from Linux.
          His example was about software installation, not the best one I agree

Because command line is most of the time a bulletproof, fast, and easy solution. And with all these deb packages for almost every software you can't really complain like he does.
          How can you fear the command line when the commands are so simple?, is what i would really like to ask him..

Comment

You can run the commands with Alt-F2 no? At least for some distros, no terminal use normally. But yes a more user friendly pre-installed application finder like synaptic would be useful (that actually has all the stuff not like Ubuntu's trimmed software centre which is often outdated).

It would be beneficial if people not get up in arms when a complete noob asks a question on sites like this, I mean if you don't want to respond then don't, no need to crack open the dogs of war!
            Last edited by theriddick; 29 April 2016, 10:06 PM.

Comment

" Figuring out the future of Ubuntu GNOME."
              What the heck! Does anybody know what that is about? They're not abandoning Ubuntu Gnome do they?

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post

Because command line is most of the time a bulletproof, fast, and easy solution. And with all these deb packages for almost every software you can't really complain like he does.
                How can you fear the command line when the commands are so simple?, is what i would really like to ask him..
                I use 99% command line so I understand your point.

The facts are that IT beginners fear them and it develops an image of "old MS DOS" that hurts a lot adoption...

For example my father mas scared because he read on "askubuntu" that for having videos he must open a terminal type "sudo apt-get update", "sudo apt get install..." etc.
                For him and most people just click on the program manager and search "codec" would be much more simple and trustful IMO.

Comment

Working...
                X