Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.6-rc6 Kernel Released, Codenamed "Charred Weasel"

Phoronix: Linux 4.6-rc6 Kernel Released, Codenamed "Charred Weasel"

For those not busy partying around the Maypole today, the Linux 4.6-rc6 kernel is now available as the latest weekly test candidate of the Linux 4.6 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A funny reference to a certain LHC inspector at CERN...

Comment

Lol, why it was named before "Blurry Fish Butt"?

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
        Lol, why it was named before "Blurry Fish Butt"?
        Probably reflecting on some of the photos Linus has taken on his diving expeditions (he is the co creator of the Subsurface dive log program)

Comment

I rather liked the AP lede:
          Atom Crasher: Wayward Weasel Closes Collider
          <sigh>

Comment

Am I the only one here thinking these names are kind of stupid? Sure, they might be a little funny once in a while, but they seem completely useless. Nobody outside of kernel development knows what these names are or what they mean, and I'm sure kernel devs would rather just refer to the version number. Just seems like a lot of wasted effort to get everyone on the same page when you can just say the implied number instead.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Am I the only one here thinking these names are kind of stupid? Sure, they might be a little funny once in a while, but they seem completely useless. Nobody outside of kernel development knows what these names are or what they mean, and I'm sure kernel devs would rather just refer to the version number. Just seems like a lot of wasted effort to get everyone on the same page when you can just say the implied number instead.
              It took Linus less effort than it took you to type up that paragraph bitching about it in some forum.

Comment

Originally posted by raom View Post
                It took Linus less effort than it took you to type up that paragraph bitching about it in some forum.
                Yes, obviously. But as I said before, it's a wasted effort to get everyone on the same page.

Comment

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...fed19d53afab21 (and maybe https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/...7efbe7b75be5af) are not going to be in 4.6?

No compute shaders for SI until 4.7?

Comment

A funny reference to a certain LHC inspector at CERN...
                    When I first read it, I thought it was referring to the recently ended Iceweasel project (because Debian and Mozilla made nice and they use the Firefox brand now).

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Am I the only one here thinking these names are kind of stupid?
                    They're supposed to be stupid because they're a mockery of real codenames and they basically end up being nerdy inside jokes.

But as I said before, it's a wasted effort to get everyone on the same page.
                    I can't remember anyone actually using the Linux codenames other than reading about them on this site.

Comment

Working...
                    X