Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest Valve Data Puts Steam Linux Marketshare At 0.90%

Phoronix: Latest Valve Data Puts Steam Linux Marketshare At 0.90%

Valve's monthly Steam hardware/software survey data has been updated for April 2016...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If we could get 5 or 10% it would be enough, but a lot of things would have to get better to achieve something like that, linux in many aspects is still not ready to deserve that amount of users, even if it has improved a lot in the latest years

Comment

Diversity of Linux distro components limited user base and get bad user experience fundamentally. There is no solution for a commercial product (say, Steam and its games) to support a home Linux distro.

Say, a question like:
      "When I start XXX game from Steam, it shows a dialog says YYY library is missing ZZZ, I am using DDD distro version VVV".
      You may simply not find anyone in the universe having this configuration having the same issue. As a result your solution is not "find and solve the root cause" but "upgrade your YYY library or even DDD distro version". This is totally bad solution.

Comment

Originally posted by dbpalan View Post
        Diversity of Linux distro components limited user base and get bad user experience fundamentally. There is no solution for a commercial product (say, Steam and its games) to support a home Linux distro.

Say, a question like:
        "When I start XXX game from Steam, it shows a dialog says YYY library is missing ZZZ, I am using DDD distro version VVV".
        You may simply not find anyone in the universe having this configuration having the same issue. As a result your solution is not "find and solve the root cause" but "upgrade your YYY library or even DDD distro version". This is totally bad solution.
        That is why Steam is only supported on Ubuntu distributions.

Comment

Say, a question like:
          Steam solves this by shipping the "Steam Runtime", a standardized collection of libraries that games can count on no matter the underlying distribution.

Comment

Steam Runtime mostly solves these problems. Unsupported distributions like Arch can result in a small number of games needing tweaks to fully run properly, like symbolic link or extra package download. Most of these are instances and solutions are documented in Archwiki.

Comment

Say, a question like:

That is correct. When my wife used Elementary 0.2 it was unfortunately still based on Ubuntu 12.04 all the way up until mid 2014. This means LibreOffice text color dialogs wouldn't work. We finally concluded that we needed a distribution with software newer than 2012 as it was impossible to get the dependencies for the newest LO filled on Elementary 0.2.

Fast foreward, my family now has 7 computers on Arch Linux, rolling release doesn't have as many problems as I would expect, occasionally I need to do something to the nvidia driver from TTY as we all use proprietary, but that's about it.

After my Elementary 0.2 issues I decided to only use what I describe as a "Tier 1" distribution, a distribution that doesn't inherit packages from a upstream distribution - this makes sure I can have the latest software at all times - thus Arch.

Packages travelling from Debian -> Ubuntu -> Elementary meant that Apps were as stale as rock hard french bread, and PPAs only complicated the situation as Gnome3 had conflicts with Ubuntu at that time (Since Gnome wasn't default in Debian at the time, long story short.)

Anyways, so 7 Arch PCs Rolling Release for 1.5 years now it's been magical once I put together a install guide to expedite the initial process.

Comment

Say, a question like:

That is correct. When my wife used Elementary 0.2 it was unfortunately still based on Ubuntu 12.04 all the way up until mid 2014. This means LibreOffice text color dialogs wouldn't work. We finally concluded that we needed a distribution with software newer than 2012 as it was impossible to get the dependencies for the newest LO filled on Elementary 0.2.

Fast foreward, my family now has 7 computers on Arch Linux, rolling release doesn't have as many problems as I would expect, occasionally I need to do something to the nvidia driver from TTY as we all use proprietary, but that's about it.

After my Elementary 0.2 issues I decided to only use what I describe as a "Tier 1" distribution, a distribution that doesn't inherit packages from a upstream distribution - this makes sure I can have the latest software at all times - thus Arch.

Packages travelling from Debian -> Ubuntu -> Elementary meant that Apps were as stale as rock hard french bread, and PPAs only complicated the situation as Gnome3 had conflicts with Ubuntu at that time (Since Gnome wasn't default in Debian at the time, long story short.)

Anyways, so 7 Arch PCs Rolling Release for 1.5 years now it's been magical once I put together a install guide to expedite the initial process.

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
                  Is this %0.9 including Steam Machines too?
                  No, but they haven't sold any of those.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post

No, but they haven't sold any of those.
                    I signed in just to say

Oh *shit*

Comment

Working...
                    X