Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.11 Alpha Released

Phoronix: Wayland 1.11 Alpha Released

The first alpha is now available of Wayland 1.11 along with the adjoining Weston 1.11 reference compositor. This also marks the feature freeze for the Wayland/Weston 1.11 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm a little confused. Shouldn't the title be: Wayland 1.11 released, accompanied by Weston 1.11 alpha? Or is there an actual alpha release of the protocol itself?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      I'm a little confused. Shouldn't the title be: Wayland 1.11 released, accompanied by Weston 1.11 alpha? Or is there an actual alpha release of the protocol itself?
      Straight from the ML:
      [ANNOUNCE] wayland 1.10.91

Here's the alpha for the upcoming 1.11 release. ...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Straight from the ML:
        Neat...

Comment

Without the pointer locking Wayland is a non-starter for me. Gnome on Wayland for the most part runs very well, but if you want to enjoy a game chances are you won't be able to aim with the mouse due to this show stopper.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
            Without the pointer locking Wayland is a non-starter for me. Gnome on Wayland for the most part runs very well, but if you want to enjoy a game chances are you won't be able to aim with the mouse due to this show stopper.
            It seems that GNOME 3.20 already has an implementation for pointer locking and confinement. See GNOME Bug #744104.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post

It seems that GNOME 3.20 already has an implementation for pointer locking and confinement. See GNOME Bug #744104.
              Hmmmm, well I only tried one game the recently ported Tomb Raider and that didn't work. I'm running Gnome 3.20.1 - would be interested if anyone else could do some tests to confirm the problem. Maybe it's just on that game, but I highly doubt it. I will go back and have a look at some other games.

Update: So I quickly tested Team Fortress 2 and the mouse inputs act weird on that game too. I found a bug report with others experience similar issues on Gnome 3.14 through 3.20 on Wayland only... So obviously it needs more work, hasn't been implemented properly? or there is a bug regression.

Like I say, it's a show stopper for me. I can't use Wayland as my daily driver if I can't play any games.

Last edited by LeJimster; 04 May 2016, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
                pointer-lock was merged into wayland-protocols long ago, with an implementation in Mutter; it just hasn't been included in Weston yet.

Comment

Originally posted by daniels View Post
                  pointer-lock was merged into wayland-protocols long ago, with an implementation in Mutter; it just hasn't been included in Weston yet.
                  Interesting, because every time I try to run first-person games in GNOME 3.20 Wayland, the mouse doesn't work as expected. Or is it just that SDL, XWayland or just the SDL version used by the game don't implement the relative-pointer protocol?

Comment

Working...
                  X