No announcement yet.

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Is Soon Switching To GCC 6, Lands Mesa 11.2.1 & Linux 4.5.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Is Soon Switching To GCC 6, Lands Mesa 11.2.1 & Linux 4.5.2

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Is Soon Switching To GCC 6, Lands Mesa 11.2.1 & Linux 4.5.2

It's an exciting time to be a user of openSUSE's Tumbleweed rolling-release Linux distribution with a number of updates recently landing and others being inbound...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting times indeed... maybe even tumultuous... and probably a good illustration of why "may you live in interesting times" is an old Chinese curse! I don't think I'd like to ride through that lot.

Tempted to hop on for a poke around once things have settled down though... I imagine you'll be keeping us posted on migrations to GCC6?.. and benchmarking the effects?
    Last edited by Dick Palmer; 04 May 2016, 08:50 AM.

Comment

OpenSUSE Tumbleweed users mow have Mesa 11.2.1 and Linux 4.5.2 hot off the press.
      It is not caturday yet

And arch still has not gotten llvm/clang 3.8 yet because the maintainer is occupied being in the army https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermai...il/027914.html
      Last edited by sirblackheart; 04 May 2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Still no Qt 5.6... They said it would be in the next snapshot after the YaST sprint, but apparently not. And it's needed to fix that Plasma crash on monitor sleep bug.
        ...maybe. I'm seeing reports that even that doesn't fix it.

Comment

tumbleweed was updated to gcc5 a year ago, and leap 42.1 was still built using 4.8.
          i wonder if compatibility with SLES12.1 will force them to do the same again for 42.2, or whether the rumoured 'capability enhancement' for SLES12.2 will allow them to update things like GCC for leap 42.2?

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Palmer View Post
            Interesting times indeed... maybe even tumultuous... and probably a good illustration of why "may you live in interesting times" is an old Chinese curse! I don't think I'd like to ride through that lot.

Tempted to hop on for a poke around once things have settled down though... I imagine you'll be keeping us posted on migrations to GCC6?.. and benchmarking the effects?
            I assume you think it's tumultuous because of the boat load of changes? I'm sure they have a testing repo before pushing to tumbleweed no? Even arch has stuff sitting in testing.

Although, I'm also a little curious to poke around, as I haven't touched openSUSE in a long time (prior to tumbleweed).

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
              I assume you think it's tumultuous because of the boat load of changes? I'm sure they have a testing repo before pushing to tumbleweed no? Even arch has stuff sitting in testing.

Although, I'm also a little curious to poke around, as I haven't touched openSUSE in a long time (prior to tumbleweed).
              All packages in Tumbleweed are developed in their development projects first, then pushed to staging where it has to go through openQA. Only once a snapshot passes openQA clean, does it get pushed in to Tumbleweed. There's more information here: https://news.opensuse.org/2015/08/28...ap-explained-2

Comment

After an entire full rebuild last week, openSUSE Tumbleweed is shifting its focus to another area. Tumbleweed is planning to switch the compiler to GCC 6, and if all goes well, according to Dominique Leuenberger, it might be available in a few weeks, but will certainly trigger another full rebuild.
                Does anyone find it interesting that Fedora doesn't want to do a full rebuild for F25, but OpenSUSE Tumbleweed just went through a full rebuild and will probably be doing one in a couple weeks (so 3-4 week turnaround)?

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post

Does anyone find it interesting that Fedora doesn't want to do a full rebuild for F25, but OpenSUSE Tumbleweed just went through a full rebuild and will probably be doing one in a couple weeks (so 3-4 week turnaround)?
                  Well the lack of rebuild in fedora that your talking about is for glibc, not GCC 6. The rebuilt of GCC 6 happened in F24 IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by adler187 View Post

All packages in Tumbleweed are developed in their development projects first, then pushed to staging where it has to go through openQA. Only once a snapshot passes openQA clean, does it get pushed in to Tumbleweed. There's more information here: https://news.opensuse.org/2015/08/28...ap-explained-2
                    Ah gotcha, figured they would have a sane process for it.

Comment

Working...
                    X