Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel's OpenGL Linux Driver Is Now One Step Closer To GL 4.4: ARB_query_buffer_object

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's OpenGL Linux Driver Is Now One Step Closer To GL 4.4: ARB_query_buffer_object

Phoronix: Intel's OpenGL Linux Driver Is Now One Step Closer To GL 4.4: ARB_query_buffer_object

With the latest code landing in Mesa Git this afternoon, the GL_ARB_query_buffer_object has been wired up for Intel's i965 OpenGL driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm confused I was looking at a game that requires opengl 4.0 but I decided against buying it as mesamatrix says i965 only has 3.3 compliance but here you talk about 4.3 being nearly done which I assume means 4.0-4.2 are done. Is i965 really only on 3.3?

edit:I see 4.2 is done but 4.0 and 4.1 are still missing one extension
    Last edited by chris200x9; 04 May 2016, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chris200x9 View Post
      I'm confused I was looking at a game that requires opengl 4.0 but I decided against buying it as mesamatrix says i965 only has 3.3 compliance but here you talk about 4.3 being nearly done which I assume means 4.0-4.2 are done. Is i965 really only on 3.3?

the missing extensions are not yet in mainline, you need to wait some time yet (and me too ;p)

Comment

Just take a look at the i965 collumn at mesamatrix.net and you'll see that nearly all extensions required to claim 4.3 support are implemented. There are just two fp64 related extensions missing for 4.2 and the robustness stuff for 4.3. OpenGL versions are just a set of extensions a driver needs to implement, so it's not necessary to finish off an earlier version before starting to work on newer extensions. But yes currently intel is at 3.3.

Comment

Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.

This site shows uptodate information about state of current master development tree.

Comment

If the game you care about doesn't need the missing extensions, you could use the mesa GL and GLSL overrides to play them (assuming they ask for an opengl version and not directly for the extensions needed).

Comment

I'm confused I was looking at a game that requires opengl 4.0 but I decided against buying it as mesamatrix says
              if it is a steam game, you could buy game, test it with gl version override and get refund if it will not work. you have two weeks of calendar time and two hours of gameplay for testing afair

Comment

For what it's worth, I don't think there's a single OpenGL 4.2 game that won't work on Intel right now if you do the following in ~/.bash_profile:

export MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=420
                export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.2

The fp64 extensions are almost never used for games because fp64 isn't widely needed outside of GPGPU stuff.

* Okay, that's not true: Original Sin Enhanced Edition (which normally requires 4.2) won't work because it has a bug that makes it crash on all Mesa drivers, but I think that's in the process of being fixed upstream.

Comment

Why bother chasing OpenGL versions when the basics aren't covered? I can't connect an external monitor without getting a kernel oops. I can't run Chromium without the screen flashing insanely. No sane person is expecting to be playing games on an Intel GPU. But sane people do expect a stable desktop experience.

Comment

Originally posted by axfelix View Post
                    For what it's worth, I don't think there's a single OpenGL 4.2 game that won't work on Intel right now if you do the following in ~/.bash_profile:

export MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=420
                    export MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.2

The fp64 extensions are almost never used for games because fp64 isn't widely needed outside of GPGPU stuff.

* Okay, that's not true: Original Sin Enhanced Edition (which normally requires 4.2) won't work because it has a bug that makes it crash on all Mesa drivers, but I think that's in the process of being fixed upstream.
                    LOL that's the game I was thinking about.

Comment

Working...
                    X