Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calamares Installer Adds LUKS Encryption Support

Phoronix: Calamares Installer Adds LUKS Encryption Support

The Calamares installer framework continues to see more distributions adopt it as their installer, so it's good hearing this weekend that it's finally onto supporting LUKS encryption...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Both Calamares and KDE partition manaager share partitioning code (KPMcore). So KDE Partition Manager also supports LUKS partitions. Including resizing them:
    KDE Partition Manager now supports creating and resizing encrypted LUKS partitions.

Comment

"Besides, the performance impact is nominal with modern hardware -- e.g. a CPU supporting AES-NI"

It's funny how both my lower-end AMD APU machines support AES-NI, and yet a Haswell laptop I have (with a newer CPU than both APUs) doesn't. Not sure what it is about Intel and CPU instructions...

Comment

I use LUKS to encrypt several partitions. However for now I've given up the use of TRIM on the LUKS SSD partition. Is it easy (and safe) enough to use TRIM & LUKS?

Comment

Originally posted by damonlynch View Post
          I use LUKS to encrypt several partitions. However for now I've given up the use of TRIM on the LUKS SSD partition. Is it easy (and safe) enough to use TRIM & LUKS?
          It's not really safe, enabling TRIM might leak e.g. what filesystem is used inside and maybe some other info... In principle enabling TRIM is just adding some options to crypttab/fstab. But we won't be doing this by default in Calamares/KDE Partition Manager.

By the way, Calamares actually uses full system encryption. And by full I mean including /boot.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
            By the way, Calamares actually uses full system encryption. And by full I mean including /boot.
            Are you using some selfmade kexec/initrd approach? Are 2F-authentications supported? Or are you using grub's password/LUKS support? Or something completely different?

Edit: Ah, I see. I watched the video and you're using grub's LUKS support.
            Last edited by OlafLostViking; 08 May 2016, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Can somone explain to me the point of using encryption software instead of old fashioned bios based drive encryption.
              Is seems that no one uses that anymore, even though it's available everywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                "Besides, the performance impact is nominal with modern hardware -- e.g. a CPU supporting AES-NI"

It's funny how both my lower-end AMD APU machines support AES-NI, and yet a Haswell laptop I have (with a newer CPU than both APUs) doesn't. Not sure what it is about Intel and CPU instructions...
                Maybe it is only for Intel vPro or some dumb shit like that.

Comment

What distributions use the Calamares installer?

Manarjo Linux based on Arch Linux.
                  Sabayon Linux based on Gentoo Linux.

Any other?

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
                    Can somone explain to me the point of using encryption software instead of old fashioned bios based drive encryption.
                    Is seems that no one uses that anymore, even though it's available everywhere
                    What are you talking about? I’ve never seen any encryption option in any BIOS.

Comment

Working...
                    X