No announcement yet.

Some Fresh Debian 8.4 vs. Debian Testing (Stretch) For A Xeon + Radeon System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Fresh Debian 8.4 vs. Debian Testing (Stretch) For A Xeon + Radeon System

Phoronix: Some Fresh Debian 8.4 vs. Debian Testing (Stretch) For A Xeon + Radeon System

With having done clean installs of Debian 8.4 and Debian testing (Stretch) the past few days on the same box, here are some fresh comparison numbers for your viewing pleasure...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

As a big fans of Debian, it is glad to know the overall performance get faster.

But I am interested where do the differences come from. Faster kernel? Better compilation flags? Better kernel tuning?

Comment

After using Ubuntu happily for years and being thankful for their work on GNOME, Gtk, etc, I am going back to Debian testing. Compared to ten years ago, all is much more stable and integrated. Unity I never liked and with testing I have access to the latest Python 3 packages. That up to date functionality is more worth for me than the latest eye candy. Even for my Raspberry Pis I have switched to testing. Was the only way to get KODI 16.1. Ar more people making this transition?

Comment

Originally posted by Pander View Post
        After using Ubuntu happily for years and being thankful for their work on GNOME, Gtk, etc, I am going back to Debian testing. Compared to ten years ago, all is much more stable and integrated. Unity I never liked and with testing I have access to the latest Python 3 packages. That up to date functionality is more worth for me than the latest eye candy. Even for my Raspberry Pis I have switched to testing. Was the only way to get KODI 16.1. Ar more people making this transition?

It aint all that stable . I use MATE Desktop and all GTk3 theme engines are for now broken because they pushed Gnome/GTK3 version 3.20 in Debian Testing.

Comment

I use testing for desktop/laptop and stable for servers, of course. think I will install Xfce as a fall back. Thanks!

Sort of related: please vote for https://bugs.launchpad.net/getdeb.net/+bug/1579646 if you are also migrating from Ubuntu to Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
            It aint all that stable . I use MATE Desktop and all GTk3 theme engines are for now broken because they pushed Gnome/GTK3 version 3.20 in Debian Testing.
            Testing breaks now and then, that's the purpose of Testing. And when the GNOME people change something in gtk3 (again) we can just sit and wait until everyone figured out what they have changed (again), and updated their themes and what's not.

Comment

Well in my experience with Debian testing is pretty stable, sometimes becomes unstable, when they brings lot of packages from sid to testing and more when they just release a new stable version, so in general I used to leave the testing waiting for a couple of day or week until I upgrade, usually when comes lot of upgrade and you see the package as gtk, better wait more to do the upgrade.
              In my case I felt Debian testing pretty stable, usually more than Ubuntu like 7 years ago, right now I cannot said because I don't use debian anymore. But was a great experience.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

It is better to leave canonical do what they do. Ubuntu is not Debian compatible, it is random what ubuntu package breaks Debian testing or not. For example I am using amdgpu-pro without its 32-bit libs, my linux Steam client renders garbage but wine-staging csmt works. If I install amdgpu-pro 32-bit libs, Steam client works, but not wine-staging csmt and wine-staging renders slow as vanilla wine.

In unstable and experimental you have the latest software and you can use them with testing.
                If you are using amdgpu, why don't you give wine with gallium-nine a try? I'm using gallium-nine with radeonsi on HD7850 and this is a way faster, than csmt will ever be. Honestly, there are couple of games, which are almost unplayable on csmt, but running absolutely amazing with gallium-nine. And it's not only about performance, there are even some games (f.e. Risen 1/2), which have bad graphical glitches on pure wine (or with csmt), but working well on gallium-nine. The only unfortunate thing is, that gallium-nine is currently only limited to D3D9, but I hope support of the newer D3D versions will also come one day.

Btw. didn't you say some time ago, that CSMT was disabled in wine-staging since version 1.9.2 anyway? (AFAIK, that was done due to moving csmt parts into the main development branch, but also not yet activated)

Comment

Well, that's a nice comparision test, but considering that debian stretch (testing) will soon default to GCC6 it would be nice to make the comparision after that.

So maybe more benchmarks when stretch defaults to GCC6?
                  Last edited by samueloph; 09 May 2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Good to see the stats.

Every time I try Ubuntu/Xubuntu I end up moving back to Debian because seems overall faster and more responsive. I like Ubuntu having newer packages for the most part.
                    I used to use testing, but couldn't wait for the XFCE major version updates that propagated to unstable a lot quicker. Plus some bugs would get fixed and take longer to get to testing then unstable (as one would expect some times).
                    So I did the jump to unstable a few years ago and haven't looked back for laptop/desktop. Server on stable.
                    Unstable does seem a lot more settled these days though.

On unstable if do regular apt-get upgrade all is normally okay.
                    apt-get dist-upgrade can cause issues if you don't check if it wants to remove packages. Sometimes it will remove packages if the dependencies aren't available yet and so you need to wait a little bit.

It also depends what you want, Mesa major versions for example take a month to go from exp to unstable and on to testing. You can sometimes pull packages from experimental but it is risky. Better to wait.
                    Arch makes me curious, their Wiki is great and thankfully can use lots of it with Debian, Arch do release newer packages sooner, but I don't play lots of games so I think can wait for unstable.

Testing with back ports is probably a good compromise if unstable is too changeable.

Comment

Working...
                    X