Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Open-Sources Compressonator Project

Phoronix: AMD Open-Sources Compressonator Project

The latest open-source fruits of AMD's GPUOpen project is the Compressonator...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow AMD is rockin

Comment

AMD just keeps on giving!

First the FGLRX (Catalyst) drivers just kept getting better with each release. Then Mantle inspired DirectX12 and became the basis for Vulkan.

All the while the open source radeon drivers keep improving in large part due to AMD's efforts to release documentation over the last few years.

They've been working on AMDGPU to provide a solid base for either the open source or the closed driver to work on.

And now they're open-sourcing yet another developer tool!

Keep up the good work AMD!

I can't wait to try out Vulkan drivers on some GCN 1.0 hardware. :-)

Comment

Maybe now somebody will implement some of the new compression algorithms

Comment

This is a good thing. I was trying to help a friend a year ago do some texture compression/conversion work and I was shocked at the poor state of OSS tools to do that.

Comment

This is so cool.

Comment

May buy two AMD cards even if crossover doesnt work that well.

Comment

This is excellent, compressonator was one of the things I was very eager to see open sourced. Congratulations to the legal and technical teams at AMD for making this happen, in a sea of other wonderful announcements.

Comment

How does the AMD Compressonator compares to Nvidias texture tools ( https://github.com/castano/nvidia-texture-tools )

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                    May buy two AMD cards even if crossover doesnt work that well.
                    *crossfire

Anyway, with Vulkan/DX12 there is no more need for crossfire, the API has a standardized multiGPU rendering, although it now depends from the game developers to implement it.

Comment

Working...
                    X