Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Intel's Xeon Phi Under Linux

Phoronix: Using Intel's Xeon Phi Under Linux

If you are fortunate enough to get your hands on one of Intel's Xeon Phi co-processors based on their Many Integrated Core (MIC) architecture, it can run fairly well under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

like 60$ on ebay

Comment

You need a motherboard with support to 64bit PCI.
      Like the Supermicro X10DAI-B Dual LGA2011/ Intel C612/ DDR4/ SATA3 that goes around $400 in ebay.

Phoronix could make a piece on current motherboards supporting the most complete/weird mix of extreme computing coprocessors... (FPGA's, GPU, XeonPhi, clearspeed, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by lgrootnoob View Post
        like 60$ on ebay

more like $699...

Comment

Originally posted by lgrootnoob View Post
          like 60$ on ebay
          Those are the books, scroll down and you find the cards for an order of magnitude moar.

Originally posted by finnpixel View Post
          You need a motherboard with support to 64bit PCI.
          the xeon phi are PCI-e 2.0 x16 cards, basically a GPU-like card.
          WTF are you going to do with a 64bit PCI?

Phoronix could make a piece on current motherboards supporting the most complete/weird mix of extreme computing coprocessors... (FPGA's, GPU, XeonPhi, clearspeed, etc)
          Outrageously expensive, completely off-target-audience. I'd guess the answer is "no".

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            Those are the books, scroll down and you find the cards for an order of magnitude moar.

the xeon phi are PCI-e 2.0 x16 cards, basically a GPU-like card.
            WTF are you going to do with a 64bit PCI?

Outrageously expensive, completely off-target-audience. I'd guess the answer is "no".
            Motherboard needs to do 64bit PCI addressing:

Want to try your hand at programming the Intel Xeon Phi? Think a card will work in your existing system? ...probably not!

As to weird computing.. Why not? So many people spend their money to having so more fps, why not extreme computing for the fun of it?
            Especially if you do it in a budget and in less rarified environments than in universities and government computing centers like your home server.

I'm experimenting a jungle cluster with a xeon phi, several gpu's, fpga's, neural coprocessors and analog hybrid computing...

Comment

Motherboard needs to do 64bit PCI addressing:
              You said only "64-bit PCI", I thought you were talking about 64bit PCI slots. http://i.stack.imgur.com/zT91p.png

Ah, that's another thing. Nice, another setting that could work on most motherboards under the sun, but it does not because the firmwares are total garbage.

As to weird computing.. Why not?
              because the guy running this site needs to make a profit, this kind of information and tests are very niche while the hardware is very expensive. Most people here are laptop/desktop users, not supercomputer admins.
              Last edited by starshipeleven; 13 May 2016, 07:44 PM.

Comment

You said only "64-bit PCI", I thought you were talking about 64bit PCI slots. http://i.stack.imgur.com/zT91p.png

because the guy running this site needs to make a profit, this kind of information and tests are very niche while the hardware is very expensive. Most people here are laptop/desktop users, not supercomputer admins.
                But didn't he publish an article about Intel Xeon Phi...? And aren't we discussing it here? Remember that some years ago, people would use clusters to make render or compile farms farms and GPU to mine bitcoin. What diferentiates today a user from a supercomputer admin? the admin has hundreds of nodes to work with, but that doesn't take the possibility of one user to experiment with much smaller machine but with the same node hardware...

For example, OpenCL must evolve beyond the small niches where it has been found useful if it is to accomplish it's original purpose and you can only achieve that in extremely heterogenous computing environments as a jungle cluster or farm.

Comment

But didn't he publish an article about Intel Xeon Phi...?
                  He linked someone else's as he does not have the resources to do these tests on his own.

Remember that some years ago, people would use clusters to make render or compile farms farms and GPU to mine bitcoin.
                  Render farms are still up, bitcoing mining is now on ASIC farms. Still niche.

What diferentiates today a user from a supercomputer admin?
                  A user cannot realistically justify spending thousands of dollars on a device that only does raw calculations. Sure someone might, but that's a niche.

Comment

Supercomputer admin here. These things are very niche even within the supercomputer world. The price/performance sucks, even compared to the several-years-old and much cheaper NVidia GTX Titan. We actually bought a bunch of these Xeon Phi cards a few years ago, and later scrapped them in favor of commodity GPU's.

Besides, compute power is rarely an issue in the supercomputer world (duh). The hardware that we think of as "sexy" is the low latency interconnects. Even older technologies like Dolphin, Myrinet, and heck even the ancient Quadrics are pretty sweet from an uber-geek perspective, and make Ethernet look slower than the US Postal Service. Of course Infiniband is the modern defacto standard. We've just started swapping out the old 40Gb/s stuff for the new 100Gb/s stuff.
                    Last edited by torsionbar28; 13 May 2016, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X