Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZFS Finally Lands In Debian

Phoronix: ZFS Finally Lands In Debian

The latest Linux distribution seeing ZFS file-system packages officially added is none other than Debian...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Actually, zfs-linux is the source package.

Comment

Made an account just for this, it's about damn time. I won't be running Sid on my homeserver, but I wouldn't mind running Testing.

Comment

Anyone think there is a chance we will eventually see it in jessie-backports?

Also, I wonder if when it finally does make it's way down to stable if it will somehow be regularly updated? ZFS on Linux is constantly getting improved via new features, large performance improvements and bug fixes. It would would kind of suck to be behind in ZoL version for more than a year or even several months.

For instance, this release is already outdated as 0.6.5.7 came out 16 hours ago.
        Last edited by SirMaster; 13 May 2016, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by norsetto View Post
          Actually, zfs-linux is the source package.
          AFAIK Debian provides only the source package. If you install it, it will be compiled locally using dkms. That is the correct way to do it given the licence problem and honestly I don't know why Canonical didn't do the same thing, that would have saved them one controversy.

Comment

So is btrfs dead now or not?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

AFAIK Debian provides only the source package. If you install it, it will be compiled locally using dkms. That is the correct way to do it given the licence problem and honestly I don't know why Canonical didn't do the same thing, that would have saved them one controversy.
              You're saying that as if controversies and publicity were somehow a bad thing to Canonical

Comment

Originally posted by SirMaster View Post
                Also, I wonder if when it finally does make it's way down to stable if it will somehow be regularly updated?
                I certainly hope not. It should be regularly updated in unstable and maybe in testing, but stable is supposed to be stable.

Comment

Originally posted by ConvexEd View Post
                  Made an account just for this, it's about damn time. I won't be running Sid on my homeserver, but I wouldn't mind running Testing.
                  Debian 9 is a couple of months away so you'll be able to run it in stable in no time.

Unrelated, did Oracle relicense ZFS or what? Cause I was led to believe that it was a GPL violation to package it with linux...

Edit: Never mind regarding the question. Canonical picked up the legal mantle on this one: https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/02/...ing-and-linux/
                  Last edited by c117152; 13 May 2016, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
                    So is btrfs dead now or not?
                    Sorry mate, I'm afraid it's not

Comment

Working...
                    X