It's Looking Like The Next Mesa Release Won't Be Delayed For OpenGL 4.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Looking Like The Next Mesa Release Won't Be Delayed For OpenGL 4.5

Phoronix: It's Looking Like The Next Mesa Release Won't Be Delayed For OpenGL 4.5

This weekend was the ambitious proposal to delay Mesa 12.0 until there's OpenGL 4.5 support in this open-source driver stack, which could tack on around an extra month to the release schedule. It's now looking like this change in release planning will not happen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Intel driver is very close to OpenGL 4.3, but GL_ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior is still missing for OpenGL 4.3.
    Mesa 12.0 will be exciting.

Comment

i'm not aware of games requiring post-4.3
      so 4.3 is really important milestone, 4.5 is more of milestone for the sake of checklist. 4.5 in september is good enough, now i'm more interested in speedups

Comment

Considering that the developers estimated one month for 4.5 support, having a few extra months to get it ready for the September release might likely mean that more hardware / drivers will support 4.5, rather than just one, as was suggested in the 1-month proposal.

Let's see what will happen. This is exciting.

Comment

I cant wait to see GL 4.5 finished, so mesa devs will use their time on new cool features like vulkan support and performance improvements. But it really took many years to be finished

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
            I cant wait to see GL 4.5 finished, so mesa devs will use their time on new cool features like vulkan support and performance improvements. But it really took many years to be finished
            To be fair, mesa development *really* drastically sped up over the past year or so. There was no GL4.0 in mesa (yet alone any drivers) a year ago. Now, basically all drivers have 4.3, and most of 4.4/4.5 is done as well. This was all done in a year or so. Before that, it took several years to get from GL2.1 to GL3.3.

Now is, IMO, the golden age of open-source drivers.

Comment

I like this decision.
              I rather have a bit more bigfixing and some time and a release between many features than hasted work.

The mesa release in September will be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                i'm not aware of games requiring post-4.3
                so 4.3 is really important milestone, 4.5 is more of milestone for the sake of checklist. 4.5 in september is good enough, now i'm more interested in speedups

I remember someone saying Dying Light needs OpenGL4.4.

But yeah, now stabilizing the code and getting it optmized seems more important to me than OpenGL4.4/4.5.

Comment

Why is AMD so focused on rushing to OpenGL 4.5?
                  Games are still stuck at OpenGL 4.3 for the time being so instead of getting radeonsi to support OpenGL 4.5 they could use the extra time to bring r600 to OpenGL 4.3.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Payne View Post
                    Why is AMD so focused on rushing to OpenGL 4.5?
                    Games are still stuck at OpenGL 4.3 for the time being so instead of getting radeonsi to support OpenGL 4.5 they could use the extra time to bring r600 to OpenGL 4.3.
                    I agree. Though I don't own an R600 GPU anymore, I think that has some catching up to do. I'd also like to see more progress with openCL first.

Comment

Working...
                    X