Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWayland Now Part Of KDE Frameworks

Phoronix: KWayland Now Part Of KDE Frameworks

KDE Frameworks 5.22 was released this week and with this frameworks update comes the addition of KWayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm a little confused, does this replace the "plasma wayland session"? I can already start KDE in wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      I'm a little confused, does this replace the "plasma wayland session"? I can already start KDE in wayland.
      No, KWayland is the KDE library for implementing Wayland support in KDE applications. Nothing changes for your "plasma wayland session", really. You already had KWayland installed on your system, and all the KDE applications in your plasma wayland session were using it.

This article only points out a change in how it is distributed. It may affect how distros deliver your packages, and how the KWayland project interacts with the development of other KDE projects, but it should not affect you, as a user.

Comment

Basically, Plasma-on-Wayland has needs above and beyond what QtWayland provides. The code for that is implemented in a library named KWayland. This is announcing that KWayland is now easier for other applications and other desktops to use (as opposed to reinventing the wheel).

Comment

One problem I have with KDE (and Qt in general) applications in Wayland is that they do not load any icons from the system theme. This means that in, e.g, Dolphin, I cannot see any icons for the files/folders.

That said, I don't use the full KDE plasma environment; just tried running a few KDE applications in the sway window manager. I've been doing this in X11 in the i3 window manager for a long time. In x11, there is also a problem with the icons, but it can be fixed by setting an environment variable (XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=kde). That workaround doesn't work in Wayland though, for some reason.

I have been looking for solutions to this for days, and there is virtually no information about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            Basically, Plasma-on-Wayland has needs above and beyond what QtWayland provides. The code for that is implemented in a library named KWayland. This is announcing that KWayland is now easier for other applications and other desktops to use (as opposed to reinventing the wheel).
            For example LXQt might make use of it, as it does for other KDE Frameworks libraries.

Comment

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
              One problem I have with KDE (and Qt in general) applications in Wayland is that they do not load any icons from the system theme. This means that in, e.g, Dolphin, I cannot see any icons for the files/folders.

That said, I don't use the full KDE plasma environment; just tried running a few KDE applications in the sway window manager. I've been doing this in X11 in the i3 window manager for a long time. In x11, there is also a problem with the icons, but it can be fixed by setting an environment variable (XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=kde). That workaround doesn't work in Wayland though, for some reason.

I have been looking for solutions to this for days, and there is virtually no information about it.
              After cleaning the chache the icons should be there I think.

Comment

Originally posted by miku View Post

After cleaning the chache the icons should be there I think.
                How exactly do I do this?

Comment

Go to the home folder and delete all files in the .cache folder.

Comment

Working...
                  X