HID Updates For Linux 4.7 Affect ASUS Devices, Corsair RGB Keyboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID Updates For Linux 4.7 Affect ASUS Devices, Corsair RGB Keyboards

Phoronix: HID Updates For Linux 4.7 Affect ASUS Devices, Corsair RGB Keyboards

Jiri Kosina sent in the pull requests today for the subsystems he is responsible for, including the HID area. Here are the changes from that stack coming to Linux 4.7...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does the older K70 have two interfaces/endpoints? Because that would explain why I always have to wait for the keyboard to start working when I boot Linux.

Comment

Does this also include the Rapidfire boards? My K70 RGB Rapidfire is 1b1c:1b38

Comment

Awesome!!! Thank you Trent Lloyd! This means I don't have to flip the bios switch every time I install linux and I haven't put CKB yet, nor do I have to put usb quirks in grub because it would stall the booting process for a time. This makes me incredibly happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Revan View Post
          Awesome!!! Thank you Trent Lloyd! This means I don't have to flip the bios switch every time I install linux and I haven't put CKB yet, nor do I have to put usb quirks in grub because it would stall the booting process for a time. This makes me incredibly happy.
          Interesting; I have a K70 Rapidfire using the USB 3.0 ports; I can boot and install Linux without moving the switch from 1ms or using a quirk. The BIOS switch in my case doesn't do anything to really help (I can also use it in my BIOS without changing the mode from 1ms).

Basically, without the quirk, my keyboard works fine aside from a slight boot delay and a few errors in dmesg. With the quirk, I get no delay, a single error in dmesg, and still no problem

As for the 30sec delay, is it really that long? I haven't timed it, but I really don't recall having to wait nearly that long to use the keyboard (maybe like 10 secs).

Comment

Awesome, I've been waiting for this, even tried to report the bug with the k95-rgb.

I've been using this keyboard for a while now, and it is working great for me on linux, I've had it for well over a year now, it is very sturdy and nice, I have had no problems with it whatsoever, it is for me the perfect keyboard, which is what I was hoping when I bought it at such a high price. It's a joy to type on, it's a joy to game on. Windows drivers work well. Linux Drivers (Ckb) work even better (it's so damn nice to be able to just type in system commands to assign to every single button, for macros you need 3rd party software like xdotool usually, and fair warning, ckb only works on X so you need xwayland to use them properly with wayland right now, I didn't have any particular issues with that though, it ran nicely and I imagine this is because the driver backend doesn't rely on the display server)

You may need to put a quirk option on the command line though so that the keyboard will work on boot (usually not required after installing ckb, so you could get away with using another keyboard, installing ckb, restarting and using the corsair keyboard after that, but it seems like this patch finally solves that issue). More details on the ckb github.

there's also an interesting design aspect, the sides of the keyboard are open, so you can clean the keyboard with comperssed air (if you have an air compressor, don't think canned air would help much)
            Last edited by rabcor; 18 May 2016, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Incredible how standards-incompatible devices are on the market and not recalled, forcing everyone to do extra work because you failed at designing your product.

Comment

Working...
              X