Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krita 3.0 Up To Release Candidate Stage

Phoronix: Krita 3.0 Up To Release Candidate Stage

Krita, KDE's incredible digital painting and illustration program, is getting very close to their major 3.0 milestone with today's availability of their release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward to this release very much!

Comment

Awesome, I'm working from windows right now, but when 3.0 is officially released I will try it on arch; I had some major issues with the beta just the other day though, they didn't seem like the type to get ironed out in 2 weeks unless they were going to be focused (freezes and hangs, and all that genuinely nice stuff that everyone loves)

Comment

So I'm trying out the RC, and damn man, Krita has come such a long way. I think with this version, Krita FINALLY has that "complete" professional feel to it, I still think it needs some finishing touches though, and since I know boud is here, let me count them up. (I'm working from windows atm though) Instant Preview is AMAZING!!! Photoshop and Painter can't even compete with this, and the best part is that it seems to work for all brush engines, I am so happy with this, it seems like a sort of weird implementation, but it works and that's what counts. (Yes, I know 2 and 3 is mostly nitpicking)

1: Parts of my interface (like 2 or 3 strings) are translated according to my system locale, this is not cool, I don't want this, I don't want any program to be in my locale's language, ever. The only thing worse than an Icelandic language user interface, is a user interface with mixed languages. so please, either disable locale translations, add an option to disable them, or add a language option where you can select whether or not you want to use your system locale's language or not (which would be fine as a default value if that's what you want).

2: layers are called lag now. Why? when krita is finally not visibly lagging?

3: Ctrl+A is ambiguous when working with text (should be "select all") this bettered be fixed in your kickstarter where you said you'd work on the vector systems.

4: I think this may be one of the more important things I have to say, and I tried making a thread about this on the krita forums a while back but it doesn't seem anyone listened, however I went into a lot of detail there so I'm gonna tone it down this time. The UI layout needs an update, and here is how I think it needs an update (ordered by importance)
        1. Flow (brush option 3) should be visible by default, believe it or not this option is VERY important, and it doesn't make sense to hide it. If you want to hide something, hide these new document/opendocument/savedocument icons to the far left that nobody uses, if anything doesn't belong, it's that. (but hey, can't see why we can't have both).
        2. The overview docker should be enabled by default (it is the most useful docker in the program after the layer docker, color selector and of course, tools, it belongs.)
        3. Scroll Bars should not be enabled by default, other programs tend not to have them, people know they can press space and drag (especially not needed if you have an overview docker, because then you can control the camera from there which is a pretty awesome feature.)
        4. Color selector should be square by default, not triangle (why? because it is better, and it doesn't take a genius to figure that you can fit more colors in a square, than a triangle, this might be a bit of nitpicking, but still, details kinda matter).
        Or in just one simple image:

I think these small UI changes might really change how first timers see krita, for the better, and actually make it a bit more beginner friendly. As a final side note, I also think that the brush preset selection icon should be a lot more obvious (the one next to where it says "venjulegt") so that first time users are more likely to find it. Even if we're talking RC here, these are minor changes that are very easy to make, so maybe it should be considered for the final release, this theme makes a whole lot of sense, and includes all the most important dockers that people are the most likely to be ineterested in using, and doesn't actually obscure one of the most important sliders in the entire program

And of course, hiding docker titlebars by default is a great way to make some more space in these areas (they are very redundant, considering that the docker tabs actually say the name of the docker...) as well as removing the zoom slider on the overview docker (We already have one in the bottom right corner, and besides, you could just set the overview docker up so that a right click drag would change zoom in that docker; so that tablet pens can zoom in/out using the docker)

I remember the last time I brought up the idea of having the overview docker on by default, I got told off because many people may be using lower resolution or older (even 4:3) monitors where this might not work out so well, and to that I say that these users, they will figure out to just turn off the overview docker, it's better that they know about it and get rid of it than they never know about it (and generally when enabled by default, you would generally want the overview docker to be as small as it can be, vertically.)
        Last edited by rabcor; 19 May 2016, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Boud and other Krita developers are among the kindest I've meet on the internet. Their diligence and hard work has produced a excellent product.

The addition of guides into 3.0 is most welcome, also the text tool update will be a really big deal, as someone who has been versed in Photoshop for nearly two decades, Krita kills when it comes to Painting, Art, Comicing, etc... Photoshop goes better on the Photo Manipulation side, but then again each tool has a unique purpose just like a Flat Screwdriver and Phillips Screwdriver are similar and totally different.

Great work Krita Team!

Comment

For 1 and 2: Translations: we're still working on it. Part of the problem is that there are two translation systems: the one for Qt's widgets, like message boxes, and the one for Krita's widgets. Digging deep back to the memory of my Old Norse classes, "Lag" probably is the Icelandic translation of "Layer", which means that actually both Qt and Krita translations are loaded, and that the Icelandic translation is woefully incomplete.

You can override that in Settings/Select Language. Try Japanese for fun :-)

For 3: Yeah, the text tool *sucks*. Which is why we're running a kickstarter to replace it:

Please support it; it supports Dmitry working on Krita full-time and me part-time, and that sort of involvement is needed for progress.

For 4: While these are all good points, the big problem is there are people who are clamouring for the opposite. We did hide the file toolbar for a while, which led to a marked increase in people losing their work because they were not saving it! Apparently, if there's no "Save" icon visible, saving is not necessary... It's really hard to figure out the best defaults, so it's a good thing we've added all this flexibility :-)

Same thing, the zoom slider in the overview docker. Yes, it's a duplicate, but removing it means a horde of Sai fans telling the world that Krita cannot zoom. We've already got them telling us Krita doesn't have canvas rotation because it hasn't got a rotation slider in the zoom docker...

For 3.0, the default configuration is unlikely to change. After 3.0, we're ready for some more experiments!

Comment

Oh man you're right, how did I not connect the dots here, lag is icelandic for layer (it is also icelandic for song, and used frequently by icelandic gamers as the english word lag) Icelandic translation is woefully incomplete, yes, I could help with that if you think there is a demand for it (all you gotta do is ask; as an Icelandic person I know that Icelandic people tend to like having interfaces in Icelandic (except for all the tech savvy ones, like myself), the bigger question would be how many icelandic people would actually be using krita besides me, and this I find tougher to answer, maybe if I go to college again I could find this out... If you just want to cover your bases, that's fine too, if you'd throw me a list of strings to translate or something similar, I could do this for you between the lines when I'm trying to fill the time).

And huh, there is a language option? I am not finding it, but I wouldn't mind trying japanese for fun, I could even read like half of it

I really would support the kickstarter, but I'm one of the people who just doesn't have enough spending money (I'm even conservative about buying things that I want directly, but if I had enough money like I used to like 2 years back, you bet I'd back you a nice 100$ or something) so instead I offer the only support I can afford, promoting krita to friends and around the internet at every good opportunity. It's not like I don't have spending money, but I had to think really hard about it before spending 40€ on a game I wanted the other day, whereas back in the day, if I saw a game I wanted, I just bought it even if it cost more than that. It literally took me a week to decide to actually set aside the money to buy it, and addiction did the heavy lifting; and I don't remember the last time I bought anything that wasn't food besides this. Tough times.

Oh man, people couldn't figure out how to save with no save icon? Well, I guess it's fine to just leave it in then, I only said maybe remove that though, it's not as out of place as it used to be in older versions, now that it has more "in-line with the theme" icons.

And what the hell is with these Sai fans? Are they all idiots? I haven't seen this happen, but one important thing to ask yourself here boud, should you as a developer really let this stop you? (Because as much as SAI fans are haters of everything else apparently, Krita fans will defend it if they see someone say something wrong about it, and especially now with version 3, I believe Krita might start to really stand out as the amazing painting application it is).

I guess it's fine if you don't start experimenting with the theme changes I suggested until 3.1 development (but please, PLEASE do start experimenting with that for the next release of krita, the default UI is the first impression, and first impressions matter right?)... except for the most important, and least disruptive change I suggested. The flow slider should be enabled by default, it is very bad that it is not enabled by default. And it is such a minor change that I do not think any SAI fanboy is gonna be able to find anything negative to say about it lol
              Last edited by rabcor; 19 May 2016, 02:13 AM.

Comment

I just read that the Kickstar will support languages like Arabic which I was never able to use. So backed it up!

Comment

Michael could you provide some visibility to Krita team's kickstarter with an article? Would be nice to get them funded so they can keep improving https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...or-art-awesome

Comment

We would love some media attention for the kickstarter -- it seems as if a kickstarter or fund raiser isn't news, or as if it's faintly distasteful to cover such thing, after all they they are about detestable dross... But I sort of think that for an open source project to have been able to sponsor a full-time developer without corporate support is quite a big thing! Anyway... To answer rabcor, point by point:

* For working on translations, http://i18n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=is is the contact point for Icelandic. I don't know how many people would use it, but would love to see it. But then, I'm a linguist by educations, and I love languages. I _did_ write an Old Norse parser in Snobol to make statistics of the various kinds of alliterative rhyme in the sagas...

* The language selection option is in the settings menu. Stuff might still be broken in places.

* Sai fans aren't stupid, but quite often are hide-bound to a certain extent...

* Once we're done releasing 3.0, I cordially invite you to join us on the forums and on irc, so we can start developing different profiles and do tests with them. We can make it easy to switch between different default profiles and see which fits the largest number of users. It would be fun to do!

Comment

Working...
                    X