Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland/Weston 1.11 Beta Released

Phoronix: Wayland/Weston 1.11 Beta Released

Per the Wayland 1.11 schedule, Wayland and its reference Weston compositor saw their v1.11 beta releases during the night. Wayland 1.11 remains on target for release at the end of May...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It seems that the development of Wayland/Weston has kind of leveled out, which I know has been discussed here previously. Most of the development of Wayland is "feature complete" and now it's up to the window managers to do their work, on their end.

But what is left to do in Wayland? How much more can the protocol part of the chain evolve as it is today? Is the next step a big revolution, just like the one from X to Wayland (1990's graphics model to the 2000's/GPU one)?

Comment

Well, I guess I have this list to look at... https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Wayland_features

Edit: dOH! That's just Fedora's Gnome+Wayland plans.
      Last edited by Azpegath; 18 May 2016, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        But what is left to do in Wayland? How much more can the protocol part of the chain evolve as it is today? Is the next step a big revolution, just like the one from X to Wayland (1990's graphics model to the 2000's/GPU one)?
        Screencast/screenshot API?

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Angel View Post
          Nice! This reply shows how far/different Wayland is from X. They have to standardize APIs for many common actions, or people have to get used to a new way of doing things on the desktop.

Comment

Mouse Pointer Locks? Or is it already implemented?

Comment

Originally posted by BOYSSSSS View Post
              Mouse Pointer Locks? Or is it already implemented?

Comment

And? What game will use it?there is no standard API. just a dozen compositors doing there own API or not at all. How reliable. Not.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                  And? What game will use it?there is no standard API. just a dozen compositors doing there own API or not at all. How reliable. Not.
                  Someone asked for the current status and the page documents it. There is no "and". I am not telling you a story.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Someone asked for the current status and the page documents it. There is no "and". I am not telling you a story.
                    nvm i didnt read its part of wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X