Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM Announces Multicore 10nm "Artemis" Test Chip

Phoronix: ARM Announces Multicore 10nm "Artemis" Test Chip

ARM today made public they've validated their first multi-core 64-bit ARMv8-A test chip based on TSMC's 10nm FinFET process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

now that intel has cancelled future atoms every smartphone will be arm

at least i expect this to be better than airmont

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

What's even better is that instead of full open OpenGL 4.2 / ES 3.1 support you get zero support. Closed source proprietary crapware Mali. Sigh. I suppose the best you can expect is non-accelerated framebuffer driver built by some 3rd party amateur. Might take few years just to set the video mode. And of course ARM Holdings will laugh aloud.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
        Closed source proprietary crapware Mali
        "intel" powervr atoms were no less closed source

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post

A great day for opensource (can be ricompiled), isn't it?

Comment

This is really incredible for me. Think about how powerful the mini computers cards, Like Raspberry PI, will be in a couple of years when this technology trickles down to these low end cards.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
              This is really incredible for me. Think about how powerful the mini computers cards, Like Raspberry PI, will be in a couple of years when this technology trickles down to these low end cards.
              We already have boards that are a lot faster than RPi. For example the banana/orange/odroid boards have dominated for years. The sad thing is, these rely on closed drivers for the GPU so you waste 90% of the performance and can't really do anything about it. I guess the original inventors of Mali did not have patent trolls like ARM Holdings in mind when they created the awesome new mobile GPU.

Comment

I don't see any indication that this is a "successor" to A72, just that they have switched it down to 10nm. Which of course is still a good thing. Sure beats 16. Snapdragon is already at 14, with the next upgrade set to hit 10. I think they're further along than ARM/TSMC.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

We already have boards that are a lot faster than RPi. For example the banana/orange/odroid boards have dominated for years.
                  Those I know about. My point is that we will have what amounts to desktop class performance out of these cards real soon. In the case of some of the Odroids the biggest problem they have is the lack of RAM which make you wonder why they don't offer an up sell model with 2 to 4X the RAM of the base model.
                  The sad thing is, these rely on closed drivers for the GPU so you waste 90% of the performance and can't really do anything about it. I guess the original inventors of Mali did not have patent trolls like ARM Holdings in mind when they created the awesome new mobile GPU.
                  That is a problem and frankly is a bit strange in ARMs case. But why call ARM Holdings a patent troll? They certainly aren't anything like a patent troll, rather they actively protect their IP. They have to protect that IP because frankly that is what the company is built upon, the licensing of the IP they develop to a broad range of manufactures.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                    But why call ARM Holdings a patent troll? They certainly aren't anything like a patent troll, rather they actively protect their IP. They have to protect that IP because frankly that is what the company is built upon, the licensing of the IP they develop to a broad range of manufactures.
                    Their IP is mostly about hardware design than software. "ARM core Xxx" for example is a pure hardware design, not software.

Comment

Working...
                    X