Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android N DP3 Considered Beta Quality, Adds VR Mode

Phoronix: Android N DP3 Considered Beta Quality, Adds VR Mode

For kicking off the Google I/O conference today, Google announced the third developer preview of the upcoming Android N...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I demand Android N for the Nexus 4! (heh )

Joking aside, this phone is still pretty decent; don't really have any need to upgrade it yet.

Comment

Running it on my Nexus 6P right now. Very very impressed. Seems very stable. So far the only thing I've noticed was a small hiccup with Pandora.

Comment

Is it true that android N introduces auto updates to fight fragmentation? The company I work for still supports android 2.x which is so painful for us. We target iOS 8+ for iPhone...

Comment

Android *2.x* is 2.3% of active devices. That's ludicrous!

Comment

Originally posted by Timeus View Post
            Is it true that android N introduces auto updates to fight fragmentation?
            No It's impossible because all devices aren't Android AOSP, but derivatives with many customizations from the OEMs.

There is an Android Beta program that allows people to be beta testers for Google for free on Nexus devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloth View Post
              Android *2.x* is 2.3% of active devices. That's ludicrous!
              globally maybe. Most devices around here are Android 2.3.6 Gincerbread, as the people does not throw them away until they break. Younger people is in short supply and has limitedf income, so heh.

Comment

Originally posted by Timeus View Post
                Is it true that android N introduces auto updates to fight fragmentation? The company I work for still supports android 2.x which is so painful for us. We target iOS 8+ for iPhone...

No, you're misinformed if that's what you've heard. The OEMs are still responsible for their phones. But, users that does not normally update their phone, or even know that there's such a thing will get updated automatically in the background. Which might help a little bit, but not too much.

Comment

So, is the VR mode proprietary or is it in AOSP?

Comment

Working...
                  X