Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA 367.18 Beta Linux Driver Released With Many Fixes

Phoronix: NVIDIA 367.18 Beta Linux Driver Released With Many Fixes

The NVIDIA 367.18 beta Linux graphics driver was released this afternoon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Wayland/Mir support"

Lol, sure it does.

Comment

NV_robustness_video_memory_purge sounds like it might be made to fix Gnome's bug with the desktop being corrupted on GPU reclocking events. I think they have a workaround in place right now but when I looked into the bug a while ago it seemed to be caused by them not knowing when they need to reload the image after it's cleared.

Comment

Originally posted by SaucyJack View Post
        "Wayland/Mir support"

Lol, sure it does.
        They probably mean EGLStream, which mir and wayland should support anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
          NV_robustness_video_memory_purge sounds like it might be made to fix Gnome's bug with the desktop being corrupted on GPU reclocking events. I think they have a workaround in place right now but when I looked into the bug a while ago it seemed to be caused by them not knowing when they need to reload the image after it's cleared.
          KDE had the same issue (after suspend the screen would be garbage) and implemented a work around to manually flush things - so now it goes garballed for a moment and reset to normal. Would be awesome if this is a real fix for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vash63 View Post
            That would be nice. Currently I have to issue a gnome shell restart.

Ctrl + F2 I think it is
            "r"

Then it restarts the shell and keeps all apps open.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post

KDE had the same issue (after suspend the screen would be garbage) and implemented a work around to manually flush things - so now it goes garballed for a moment and reset to normal. Would be awesome if this is a real fix for it.
              That is not the same issue. KWin corruption was happening due to driver invalidation of vertex buffers, which is afaik legit driver behaviour. KWin guys introduced a hack where if nvidia driver is detected VBO would be recreated after a second in some situations.

Comment

Another undocumented change is that it actually compiles against 4.6+ kernels, even current HEAD of Linuses tree (with minor fixes even -next tree).
                Previous beta had to have numerous fixes applied via patches since some internal kernel API functions changed.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
                  They probably mean EGLStream, which mir and wayland should support anyway.
                  Obviously. And no, they shouldnt.

Comment

The kernel flag CONFIG_DEBUG_VM_PGFLAGS exposing a serious bug in NVIDIA drivers hasn't been fixed ostensibly. Luckily Fedora devs backtracked and decided not to enable the flag by default to avoid problems (this feature affects other drivers as well).

Comment

Working...
                    X