Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Possible To Run (X)Wayland On DragonFlyBSD

Phoronix: It's Possible To Run (X)Wayland On DragonFlyBSD

It's possible to get XWayland running on DragonFlyBSD if you want to experience Wayland/Weston outside of Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sorry for my ignorance, but what display server do you usually use under BSD? Do you use xorg? If so, isn't Wayland the perfect solution for BSD as well and not only for Linux?
    As far as I've read, Wayland was always considered as the new upcoming display protocol for Linux, but not any other operating systems?

Comment

It is worked on first on linux because it has a maturer graphics stack.

The *BSD's are not as far behind with KMS/DRM as they were in the past and should once caught up be able to piggyback on a lot of the wayland work.

Comment

We know it's possible, but is it advantageous?

If so let the code roll

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
          We know it's possible, but is it advantageous?

If so let the code roll
          It's apparently more stable, and Wayland resolves some of X's security issues (Believe this is still true with XWayland).

Comment

Originally posted by WebMac View Post
            As far as I've read, Wayland was always considered as the new upcoming display protocol for Linux, but not any other operating systems?
            Wayland is a protocol, nothing more. Any OS is free to provide an implementation for it.

Comment

Wayland is the project name where weston is a part of. So Wayland is not only the name of the protocol.

Comment

Coming tomorrow: BSD dev amazed by hot water "it feels so warm to the touch, I like it"
                Evening special: BSD devs taste sliced bread for the first time.

I mean, really. If Wayland/weston runs better than xorg on Linux for what reason should it not run better than xorg on Unix?
                Unless the Unix kernel runs like crap with weston for unknown reasons, Wayland/weston >> xorg on any OS.

Comment

Wayland/weston working better isn't the news. One man making it work without much hassle is.

Comment

Working...
                  X