Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Fermi Gets OpenGL 4.2 Support Flipped On

Phoronix: Nouveau Fermi Gets OpenGL 4.2 Support Flipped On

For users of Nouveau's NVC0 Gallium3D driver with a GeForce 400/500 "Fermi" graphics card, there is now OpenGL 4.2 compliance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Eh? MesaMatrix still shows GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store as missing for 4.2.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Eh? MesaMatrix still shows GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store as missing for 4.2.
      Mesamatrix shows what GL3.txt shows and it's not yet updated. Also, Mesamatrix doesn't update instantaneously.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomin View Post
        Mesamatrix shows what GL3.txt shows and it's not yet updated. Also, Mesamatrix doesn't update instantaneously.
        Yes, but GL3.txt is always supposed to be updated at the same time as the code, because it's documentation (and its changes are normally in the same patchset as the functionality changes themselves). And yes, I checked the source as well to make sure it's not a delay (but Michael says it's been a month).

Comment

I think one of the Nouveau devs once stated on this forum that they update GL3.txt only when a feature is supported on all capable GPU. Kepler support doesn't seem to be quite there yet.

Comment

Hm, that would explain it. It's very not in line with how the Intel team is doing it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Hm, that would explain it. It's very not in line with how the Intel team is doing it, though.
              Before mesamatrix (or Phoronix before it) turned GL3.txt into a PR tool it was (and still is) an internal tool for developers to coordinate who is working on what. There is no fixed poclicy when to add what to GL3.txt. The r600 and radeonsi developers seem to add the driver to GL3.txt once the first hardware supports that feature. Intel recently started listing the supported drivers (i965/genX+) and nv50 and nvc0 add a feature once all hardware that is capable of supporting that feature actually supports it.

Comment

Originally posted by W.Irrkopf View Post

Before mesamatrix (or Phoronix before it) turned GL3.txt into a PR tool it was (and still is) an internal tool for developers to coordinate who is working on what. There is no fixed poclicy when to add what to GL3.txt. The r600 and radeonsi developers seem to add the driver to GL3.txt once the first hardware supports that feature. Intel recently started listing the supported drivers (i965/genX+) and nv50 and nvc0 add a feature once all hardware that is capable of supporting that feature actually supports it.
                Yep, and maxwell support is missing but is coming

However, this rule is not always true. For instance, tesselation shaders are not supported by maxwell, but GL3.txt states it is supported. The best way to know is not to use gl3.txt, but to use Ilia Mirkin's glxinfo page but it is not as up to date as it should be...

Comment

Originally posted by W.Irrkopf View Post

I like the more fine grained reporting of hardware support by AMD and Intel.
                  I wish the nv driver developers would adopt the same policy.

Comment

Originally posted by plonoma View Post

I like the more fine grained reporting of hardware support by AMD and Intel.
                    I wish the nv driver developers would adopt the same policy.
                    Well, if you want fine grained reporting, then I *strongly* recomment the glxinfo page mentioned by M?P?F. Not only does it show what is supported by which driver/hw combination, it also marks which features are not supported in hw by a given chip, i.e. where no *hw* implementation is going to come forth.

Comment

Working...
                    X