Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 230 Released

Phoronix: Systemd 230 Released

A new release of systemd is available this weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this bug fixed in 230 or not?

Hi. When i try to shutdown/reboot arch linux, my system hangs to cca 90 seconds and then shutdown or reboot. I have created bug report at arch's bugzilla, but there is no one, who can find the prob...

Comment

thanks man for pointing that bug out. even after so much development systemd is still facing these silly bugs

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
        thanks man for pointing that bug out. even after so much development systemd is still facing these silly bugs
        I wouldn't call it silly, reading through the comments on that bug it looks like 90-seconds is the timeout for hung processes during shutdown. The "fix" is to figure out what program isn't exitting cleanly and fix it TO exit cleanly. Many comments are saying it could be Chrom(e/ium).
        Last edited by Ericg; 22 May 2016, 01:58 AM.
        All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

I wouldn't call it silly, reading through the comments on that bug it looks like 90-seconds is the timeout for hung processes during shutdown. The "fix" is to figure out what program isn't editting cleanly and fix it TO exit cleanly. Many comments are saying it could be Chrom(e/ium).
          Herm... dates on my latest Chrome upgrade seems to correlate with the last time had issues with the bug. Interesting.

Comment

that bugs happens as a result of NetworkManager for me. CIFS mounts should be done with fstab.

Comment

How on earth this is a systemd bug when another program is not exiting cleanly

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                How on earth this is a systemd bug when another program is not exiting cleanly
                would it make sense to say that the 90s timeout is a little too much ?

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
                  would it make sense to say that the 90s timeout is a little too much ?
                  I would disagree. I would say 90s is WAY to little. Just imagine some porgram doing a sync in the background (ownCloud client) and then you end up with a broken file jsut because it took more than 90s. No, this should be fixed in the programs because different programms have to deal different with this. Lowering the 90s, in my eyes, would only mask the problem and cause problems.

BTW, this seems to be a real problem in the linux space. The notion that you just plaster over issues instead of fixing them is something we should be very careful about as it causes tons of problems in the log run.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post

I wouldn't call it silly, reading through the comments on that bug it looks like 90-seconds is the timeout for hung processes during shutdown. The "fix" is to figure out what program isn't exitting cleanly and fix it TO exit cleanly. Many comments are saying it could be Chrom(e/ium).
                    I thought it was the responsibility of init to tell DE to exit and the responsibility of DE to teardown GUI applications. There's no bug there imo if systemd waits 90 seconds for DE to terminate apps gracefully

Comment

Working...
                    X