Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Skylake Performance Boosted By Mesa 11.3

Phoronix: Intel Skylake Performance Boosted By Mesa 11.3

This past week I showed how Intel Broadwell graphics are much faster with Mesa 11.3 but this new Mesa version doesn't do much for Haswell. Similar to Broadwell, Mesa 11.3 is a big win if you are on Intel's latest-generation Skylake hardware.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it faster because Intel optimized the driver or is it faster because games can now make use of some OpenGL4 functionality, that is inherently more efficient than the GL 3.3 way?

Comment

Originally posted by jf33 View Post
      Is it faster because Intel optimized the driver or is it faster because games can now make use of some OpenGL4 functionality, that is inherently more efficient than the GL 3.3 way?
      I'd guess that Intel optimized things. According to Geeks3d's website, the GpuTest tests that were run here don't use anything above GL 3.3. I doubt that the Xonotic project considers GL4-specific optimizations worth maintaining a parallel code base for. (Since compatibility profiles got killed off, at least in Mesa and anywhere sensible, Xonotic can't integrate GL4 and GL3 in the same project).

Comment

Originally posted by planetguy View Post

I'd guess that Intel optimized things. According to Geeks3d's website, the GpuTest tests that were run here don't use anything above GL 3.3. I doubt that the Xonotic project considers GL4-specific optimizations worth maintaining a parallel code base for. (Since compatibility profiles got killed off, at least in Mesa and anywhere sensible, Xonotic can't integrate GL4 and GL3 in the same project).

For what it's worth, OpenGL 4 and OpenGL 3 are not that different; and many features of OpenGL 4 can be used before we get proper GL 4 support. The ones which help with performance seem to be well supported by a number of the drivers in Mesa, and where unsupported can be emulated with reasonable efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by planetguy View Post

Yep, Xonotic, OpenArena, etc, aren't using any GL4.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Is Skylake performance comparable with the Windows drivers yet? It was way behind the last time you ran benchmarks.

Comment

And how many poeple actually use the Skylake's iGPU to play games?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                At leat me (mainly dota 2 at roughly 80fps). I build my desktop 3 month ago with no video card waiting to see new nvidia cards, but I consider sticking to Skylake until VR kicks out on linux.

This new is good new for me !

Comment

Many people do. There are countless old/cheap games, that run perfectly on the iGPU. Even some of the new games are playable at lowres/lowdetail.

Comment

A lot of laptop users have no choice if they have nothing else. While people who intentionally target gaming usually buy laptops with dedicated graphics cards, other don't, yet still do some light gaming sometimes. For them these little performance improvements help a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X