Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple OpenGL 4.x Adjustments Hits Mainline Mesa

Phoronix: Multiple OpenGL 4.x Adjustments Hits Mainline Mesa

A slew of patches hit mainline Mesa over the night that take care of various OpenGL 4.x related work items...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It really looks like 4.4 might be within reach since only ONE thing is missing for it. And that is in progress.

Comment

Since we reached a new Opengl version isn't it mesa 12? Or were they waiting for 4.4?

Comment

Is it just me, or since Intel has support for OpenGL ES 3.1, shouldn't that be enabled? Also, according to Mesamatrix, 90% of the work required for 4.5 robustness is implemented in the 4.3 robustness extension. It looks like Intel could seriously go for 4.5 in an extremely short time.

(Also, are the extensions released last year for 4.5 on this list?)

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
          Since we reached a new Opengl version isn't it mesa 12? Or were they waiting for 4.4?
          I guess that will happen at the time of the branching. So the release manager will branch the next release with 12.0 and update the version in both the new release branch and master afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by dragorth View Post
            Is it just me, or since Intel has support for OpenGL ES 3.1, shouldn't that be enabled? Also, according to Mesamatrix, 90% of the work required for 4.5 robustness is implemented in the 4.3 robustness extension. It looks like Intel could seriously go for 4.5 in an extremely short time.

Indeed only two extensions + testing & testing.
            What are the devs going to do after finishing 4.5?

Comment

It should be enabled!
              And they deleted KHR_robust_buffer_access_behavior from the GL3.txt that only Intel had. It was never a core extension.

Those extensions are not part of OpenGL 4.5. It called OpenGL 2015, but Khronos will surely soon release OpenGL 4.6 that contain those parts.
              Last edited by Fegr; 24 May 2016, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post

Hopefully look at improving performance and making sure that new hardware is supported well in advance

Comment

Originally posted by boffo View Post

I think they have truckloads of performance improvements to take care of! "On disk shader cache" is also one of the things they need to fix.

Comment

Is it just me, or since Intel has support for OpenGL ES 3.1, shouldn't that be enabled?
                    You're right, Intel has everything in place, too, but the code which finally enables the extension sits in a subfolder called "state_tracker". While I'm not sure I guess that means the gallium state tracker, so Intel can't benefit from it.
                    Anyway, enabling the same extension for the Intel driver should be a simple task, so let's have a look at r600g instead (according to mesamatrix GL_ARB_compute_shader, GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters, GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store, GL_ARB_shader_image_size and GL_ARB_shdaer_storage_buffer_object are missing - does somebody know if these are worked on?).

Comment

Working...
                    X