Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE 42.2 Alpha Released

Phoronix: OpenSUSE 42.2 Alpha Released

The first alpha release for openSUSE 42.2 Leap is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Kernel 4.4, ahh, I don't there will any other LTS release before freeze time. Tumbleweed or custom kernel is the only option for amdgpu users.

Comment

EDIT: Removing double-post
      Last edited by sysrich; 25 May 2016, 09:30 AM. Reason: Double-Post

Comment

Originally posted by safknw View Post
        Kernel 4.4, ahh, I don't there will any other LTS release before freeze time. Tumbleweed or custom kernel is the only option for amdgpu users.
        Don't be hasty about making such assumptions.

We've already had an amusing mailinglist thread on the openSUSE list where a user requested we use Kernel 4.6 in order to support USB 3.1 Gen 2.

I responded passionately with a deep, detailed, in depth, from the heart defence of why I think Kernel 4.4 is the best choice, how Leap is not openSUSE's answer for "we want the latest support of everything" (that's Tumbleweed), and how the kind of stability that Leap users want is best served by Kernel 4.4.

A flag was planted, a line in the sand was drawn, my stance as a member of the openSUSE community was unambigiously clear and I was certain it would help persuade others that, while it comes at some cost, Kernel 4.4 LTS was the best choice for Leap.

And then one of the SLE Kernel developers posted on the thread "Oh, USB 3.1 Gen 2 support from Kernel 4.6? Yeah we backported that into the SLE 4.4 Kernel already, its in Leaps Alpha 1's kernel"

*head desk*

And in one fell swoop it was proven why having Leap so close to SLE is downright awesome, with SLE engineers fixing the communities problems before they even complained about it.

But boy does it make me look stupid

Don't be an idiot. Don't be like me. Test what openSUSE Leap 42.2 Alpha 1 can ACTUALLY do before making statements in either direction about what it does or doesn't need. Leap 42.2 Alpha 1 might already have options for amdgpu users..who knows? not me, obviously but the Alpha is out so you can find out

Comment

Originally posted by sysrich View Post
          And then one of the SLE Kernel developers posted on the thread "Oh, USB 3.1 Gen 2 support from Kernel 4.6? Yeah we backported that into the SLE 4.4 Kernel already, its in Leaps Alpha 1's kernel"

Don't be an idiot. Don't be like me. Test what openSUSE Leap 42.2 Alpha 1 can ACTUALLY do before making statements in either direction about what it does or doesn't need. Leap 42.2 Alpha 1 might already have options for amdgpu users..who knows? not me, obviously but the Alpha is out so you can find out
          If they have USB 3.1 Gen 2 support, than they will surely have amdgpu also. Let's wait for official announcement.
          I just checked release notes (http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...E-NOTES.en.txt), it is incomplete.

Comment

The SUSE decision to have Leap based on SLES and Tumbleweed as a rolling distribution was genius. It is perfection. It gives a right answer for every use case.
            Home user: Leap for stability and Tumbleweed for cutting edge. Enterprise user: there's a SLES flavor for everything. And for ultimate customization: SUSE Studio.

Another thing: openSUSE Build Service does not get the proper praise it deserves. That is one awesome piece of software.

Comment

I really hope, LEAP 42.2 will support the new AMDGPU(PRO) stuff. At launch time there should be the new Polaris GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by silviumc View Post
                Another thing: openSUSE Build Service does not get the proper praise it deserves. That is one awesome piece of software.
                1000% agree.

Comment

Originally posted by silviumc View Post
                  The SUSE decision to have Leap based on SLES and Tumbleweed as a rolling distribution was genius. It is perfection. It gives a right answer for every use case.
                  Home user: Leap for stability and Tumbleweed for cutting edge. Enterprise user: there's a SLES flavor for everything. And for ultimate customization: SUSE Studio.

Yeap. Just a few days ago I ran into an issue with DOSBox, that was reportedly fixed in the development version of it (there hasn't been an actual release for years...). I searched for such a package but couldn't find it. So I cloned the official package, dropped in the new source tarball and changed the version number, and boom, there's now a repository with the development version of DOSBox.

Comment

Working...
                  X