Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pyston 0.5 Released As A Faster Python JIT

Phoronix: Pyston 0.5 Released As A Faster Python JIT

The Dropbox engineers working on their Pyston project as a high-performance JIT implementation today announced version 0.5 of the software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wouldn't it make sense to use a pre-processor for compiling python into javascript these days? There could be an standard library emulation layer.

edit: Like this http://pyjs.org/

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Wouldn't it make sense to use a pre-processor for compiling python into javascript these days? There could be an standard library emulation layer.

edit: Like this http://pyjs.org/
      For some use cases, sure. It isn't universal.

Comment

So, is this a plugin/extension of python, or a drop-in replacement of some sort in the vein of mariadb/MySQL?
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          So, is this a plugin/extension of python, or a drop-in replacement of some sort in the vein of mariadb/MySQL?
          It's a Python interpreter. You replace your current Python with it and run your code on top of it

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

It's a Python interpreter. You replace your current Python with it and run your code on top of it
            Ps. Don't actually literally replace your Python, it will break your OS

Comment

I don't understand. How does this reference counting GC work? Last I heard about it, if won't collect circular dependencies. Yet here it is, used in Python, in Swift...

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                I don't understand. How does this reference counting GC work? Last I heard about it, if won't collect circular dependencies. Yet here it is, used in Python, in Swift...

Comment

Ah, that's super-ugly. Basically, GC is creeping into the code. And it still seems to assume you somehow know when you write a class how all other classes will relate to it (then again, maybe the compiler may raise a warning/error if it detects a strong cycle).

Oh well, at least I have my answer.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Python also has a concept of weak references which you would use so the circular reference only exists momentarily

Comment

Working...
                    X